× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
sldar216 sldar216
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An older adult says to the nurse, I don't know why I can't handle booze like I used to when I was younger. The nurse's response is based on the knowledge that:

a. older adults develop higher blood alcohol levels due to age-related changes in the neurological system.
  b. older adults develop higher blood alcohol levels due to age-related changes that alter absorption and distribution of alcohol.
  c. older adults develop higher blood alcohol levels due to slowed reaction times.
  d. older adults develop higher blood alcohol levels due to cognitive changes.

Question 2

An older adult has recently experienced a number of stressful life events. The client comes to the ambulatory clinic and tells the nurse that, On top of all I've had to endure, now I've got this flu

In rendering care for this client, the nurse recognizes that:
  a. the client is exhibiting attention-seeking behaviors to substitute for poor coping skills.
  b. crisis and stressful situations may produce emotions that erode the health of the older people.
  c. the client is exhibiting learned helplessness as a result of the recent stressors.
  d. a period of crisis will ultimately lead to a lower level of physical and mental func-tioning.

Question 3

In order to focus on the older population with the greatest risk for suicide, the nurse would con-duct a depression screening that targets:

a. African American men.
  b. white men.
  c. white women.
  d. African American women.

Question 4

The nurse preparing educational information on common mental health disorders among the older adult population should include:

a. methods for reducing anxiety.
  b. a written depression screening tool.
  c. local schizophrenia support groups.
  d. signs and symptoms of alcoholism.

Question 5

An older adult client has been voluntarily admitted for treatment of alcohol dependency. In im-plementing care, the nurse plans which intervention based upon knowledge about alcohol and aging?

a. Assessing the client for both depression and anxiety
  b. Discussing the poor prognosis of this dis-order with the client
  c. Explaining the need for proper nutrition to minimize the effects of alcoholism
  d. Identifying the effects of chronic alcohol-ism on the human body
Read 38 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
asdfghjklqwertyasdfghjklqwerty
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 390 words.