n
C
z
k
Tiffhazz Tiffhazz
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse is teaching a group of older adults about healthy aging. The nurse discusses global life-style risk factors for chronic disease. The nurse includes which of the following in the education? (Select all that apply.)

a. Smoking cessation and avoidance of to-bacco
  b. Maintenance of high levels of physical ac-tivity
  c. Importance of eating a balanced diet
  d. Development of advance directives
  e. Maintenance of blood pressure readings at a level of 120/80 or lower

Question 2

A nurse is planning health education on chronic illnesses for a group of seniors in the community. When deciding upon which illnesses to focus upon, the nurse knows that which of the following are the most common diseases in the United States?

(Select all that apply.)
  a. Heart disease
  b. Hypertension
  c. Asthma
  d. Osteoarthritis
  e. Diabetes

Question 3

A nurse is auscultating an older patient's heart and notes a systolic murmur (heard between the S1 and S2 heart sounds. The first action by the nurse is to:

a. question the patient about the presence of the murmur.
  b. note it in the chart as this is always a nor-mal finding for an older adult.
  c. contact the medical provider as this is an abnormal finding.
  d. immediately implement emergency inter-ventions.

Question 4

The role of a nurse caring for an older patient who is in the stable phase of a chronic illness may include which of the following? (Select all that apply.)

a. Coordinating care with members of the interdisciplinary team
  b. Administering medications to the patient
  c. Providing assistance with bathing and dressing
  d. Ensuring that the patient's immunizations are up to date
  e. Providing emergency care

Question 5

A nurse cares for an older adult who is described as being frail. The nurse understands that in order to be characterized as frail an individual must possess which of the following characteris-tics? (Select all that apply.)

a. Slow walking speed
  b. Low activity level
  c. Self-reported exhaustion
  d. Taking at least five prescribed medications
  e. A diagnosis of at least two chronic condi-tions

Question 6

An older man who is a smoker is hospitalized for orthopedic surgery. A nurse takes the oppor-tunity to provide smoking cessation education. The patient asks the nurse: I have been smoking for most of my life, and I am an old man.

Why are you wasting your time telling me to stop smoking? Isn't it too late? The nurse bases the response on the knowledge that:
  a. smoking cessation as late as age 75 can reduce premature death by up to 50.
  b. smoking cessation as late as age 75 can completely eliminate premature death.
  c. smoking cessation at a late age will not impact the smoker but can reduce expo-sure of family members to second-hand smoke.
  d. smoking cessation education is only effec-tive in individuals under age 75.

Question 7

A major difference in the diagnosis of chronic disease between younger adults and older adults is that:

a. chronic disease is often diagnosed earlier in younger adults and measures can be im-plemented to prevent later problems.
  b. chronic disease is often diagnosed earlier in older adults since they are more likely to seek medical care.
  c. chronic disease is usually not identified in older adults because of the many age-related changes.
  d. chronic illness is uncommon in younger adults.

Question 8

The daughter of an older patient says to a nurse, I am so concerned that my dad is still driving. He is dangerous He has had a couple of accidents and I am worried that he is going to kill him-self or, worse, somebody else. What can I do?

The nurse recommends which of the following involved type action strategies for driving cessa-tion? (Select all that apply.)
  a. Report the person to the division of motor vehicles for license suspension.
  b. Hold a family meeting with the person to discuss the situation and come to a mutual agreement of the problem.
  c. Arrange for alternate transportation for the person.
  d. Confiscate the keys to the car.
  e. Ask the patient's physician to write a pre-scription for the person to stop driving.

Question 9

A nurse is caring for a frail older adult in a long-term care facility and is concerned about pre-venting hypothermia. Which of the following interventions should the nurse implement? (Select all that apply.)

a. Make sure that the temperature in the res-ident's room is at least 65 degrees Fahr-enheit.
  b. Cover residents well when in bed and while bathing.
  c. Provide a head covering for the resident.
  d. Maintain resident in bed covered with heavy blankets at all times.
  e. Provide hot, high-protein meals and bed-time snacks.
Read 108 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
nudernuder
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 820 words.