n
C
z
k
abaker93 abaker93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The major focus regarding nursing education for the older adult regarding the use of herbal supplements is the:

a. high risk of herbal overdose since the manufacturing process lacks effective controls
  b. likelihood that the client will substitute herbals for more expensive prescribed medications
  c. expense of the herbal supplements since they are seldom covered by insurance
  d. possibility of herbals interaction dangerously with the client's prescribed medications

Question 2

When a client who routinely takes the herb St. John's Wort (SJW) shares that their hay fever is really bad right now, the nurse initially:

a. notifies the primary care provider that the client has been self-medicating for hay fever
  b. compares the client's current blood pressure to his/her baseline blood pressure
  c. stresses the need to avoid over-the-counter (OTC) medications containing monoamines
  d. suggests that the client stop taking the herb until the hay fever has improved

Question 3

The nurse admitting a client to a same day surgery unit makes the decision to notify the surgical team to cancel the procedure based on the client's statement that:

a. Will I start taking my St John's Wort as soon as I can eat again?
  b. I've haven't taken my ginkgo for exactly 10 days.
  c. I didn't want to risk catching a cold so I took my Echinacea with just a sip of water.
  d. It seemed strange not taking my garlic pill this morning.

Question 4

When a nursing interview identifies that a client is daily taking doses of herbal sup-plements, the nurse's priority is to:

a. evaluate the effectiveness of the herbal supplement self-treatment
  b. determine why the client feels the need to take the herbal supplements
  c. identify when the herbal supplementation began
  d. discuss the client's knowledge regarding the herbal supplements' side effects

Question 5

75 year old male client who weighs 175 lbs has a serum creatinine of 1mg/dl .

Using the Cockcroft-Gault formula, the client's calculated creatinine clearance rate (esti-mated glomerular filtration rate) is:

Question 6

The nurse is conducting a pre-surgical interview when it is noted that the older adult patient's medication list includes Tylenol 650 mg four times a day for arthritic pain, gingko 80 mg twice a day, and glucosamine chondroitin 500 mg three times per day.

a. glucosamine chondroitin for 1 to 2 weeks due to a potential for excess anes-thetic sedation
  b. ginkgo for 2 weeks due to the potential for increased bleeding
  c. Tylenol for 24 to 48 hours due to the potential for increased bleeding
  d. gingko for 1 week due to the potential for an allergic reaction during surgery

Question 7

An older adult client is being seen for the first time at the outpatient geriatric clinic. As a component of the nursing admission history, the nurse inquires about the use of herbs and other supplements. The basis for this inquires is that such herbal th

a. may interact with prescription medications
  b. are hazardous when used by older adults
  c. replace the need for prescription medications
  d. cause excessive sedation in older adults

Question 8

The nurse preparing an educational program focused on herbal supplement targets as a likely interested group:

a. Inner city females who lives below the poverty level
  b. White females who own their own successful businesses
  c. Male Hispanic Americans who are single, divorced, or widowed
  d. Men and women from small rural communities who are self-employed farm-ers

Question 9

An older client prescribed a transdermal morphine patch for severe chronic pain is being educated on the appropriate administration of the medication. The nurse shows an understanding of essential information regarding this route of drug administration wh

a. Aging increases the risk of having an allergic reaction to medication deliv-ered by patch.
  b. Since you have problems with digestion, this is a good way to take your medication.
  c. Please show me how you would apply your patch.
  d. Be careful to put the patch only on your chest but change locations with each application.
  e. Be sure to avoid placing the patch on injured skin.
Read 60 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
mackdnvioefmackdnvioef
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 760 words.