s
a
t
i
r
Delta-Notch Delta-Notch
wrote...
13 years ago
After I integrated a transgen into Arabidopsis I would get a hemizygous plant, right?

Now I want to have a homozygous plant.
Therefore I have to cross the plant with itself?
The result might be: 25% no transgen
                                     50% hemizygous
                                     25% homozygous for the transgene

What experiment would you prefer to differ between homozygous and hemizygous plant?
- RFLP?
-TILLING?
- PCR melting curve?

Read 1812 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Thinking Face hmm, lemmi think...

Okay, arabidopsis thaliana is a diploid with a small number of chromosomes (five). If you transform a transgene into it, why would you get a hemizygous plant? Hemizygous zygous means when you're neither heterozygous or homozyous... for example, a male with a single allele on his X chromosome is hemizygous for that gene because there isn't a second allele to determine whether he his homo or heterozyous. Where are you interesting this gene, which chromosome?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
In addition, is this the protocol you are using.. I've personally never transformed a gene to a plant (only bacteria) so im not 100% sure...

http://entomology.wisc.edu/~afb/protocol.html

reply back
- Bachelor of Science
Delta-Notch Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I mean "hemizygous" referring to the transgene. If there is a transgene integrated into 1 of the homologous chromosome, the plant will be hemizygous to that new "(trans)gene". Did I understand correctly?

This could be a protocol, but I haven't done such an experiment, yet. I am just interested in the theory.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
This could be a protocol, but I haven't done such an experiment, yet. I am just interested in the theory.

Oh I see. Well, after you insert the gene, the organism becomes hemizygous for the allele. But if you cross the plant with itself, that gene won't be passed on to the progeny because in actuality, you are inserting the gene into an autosomal cell (not a sex cell). If you insert it into a sex cell, then it will get passed on. Remember, we are dealing with a multicellular organism and not a single-celled bacterium.
- Bachelor of Science
Delta-Notch Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Sorry, I didn't pay attention to this detail in the protocol.

The experiment is usually done y ti-plasmid transformation. Therefore you transform only one single
cell from the plant. Afterwards you grow a new (now transgenic) plant out of that cell.

http://www.shikshasetu.in/engineering/biotech/articles/images/image1.jpg
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1282 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370