× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
kathmed kathmed
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which of the following individuals is most likely experiencing a delayed grief reaction?

a. A 22-year-old army pilot on leave from the Iraq war who talks about the death of his crew member
  b. A 93-year-old women, whose husband of 73 years died 1 year ago, who reminisces about their life together
  c. A 54-year-old man suffering from alcoholism who just completed a 28-day inpatient rehabilitation talking about the death of his wife 3 years ago
  d. A child whose parents were divorced 3 months ago and is acting out at school

Question 2

A 21-year-old client informs the nurse that he is not sleeping. The nurse learns that the client's girlfriend was killed in a car accident 1 month ago. Which statement would be of most concern to the nurse?

a. I am moving on and plan to start dating again.
  b. It's my fault. I shouldn't have let her go out that night.
  c. I wish I died in the car accident instead of her.
  d. I cannot sleep because I keep reliving the car accident.

Question 3

The nurse is caring for a client who has just experienced the death of her mother. The nurse best demonstrates support for the client by

a. sitting quietly with the client and not discussing the loss.
  b. reminding the client that her mother lived a long life.
  c. changing the subject so the client won't get upset.
  d. offering spiritual support for the client and family.

Question 4

A client's adult children call the nurse hourly with concerns about their mother's death and end-of-life care. The nurse's best response is to

a. provide detailed, scientific information.
  b. discuss physical symptoms.
  c. withhold information to avoid unnecessary fears.
  d. provide frequent updates.

Question 5

The nurse is caring for a 15-year-old client who is dying. The client tells the nurse, I know I am not going home again. I think it is harder for my parents than me. Will you talk to them for me? Which of the following is the best response by the nurse?

a. It is true that you will be dying soon, but you must be honest with your parents.
  b. That's not true, but I will talk to your parents.
  c. You are having a bad day, so I will be back later to see if you need anything else.
  d. Yes, I will talk to your parents, but you need to talk to them also. I will help you with that.
Read 45 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to #1

ANS: C
Eric Lindemann pioneered the concepts of grief work based on interviews with bereaved persons suffering a sudden tragic loss. He described patterns of grief and the physical and emotional changes that accompany significant losses. Lindemann observed that grief can occur immediately after a loss, or it can be delayed. When symptoms of grief are exaggerated or absent, it is considered pathologic or complicated grief. People experiencing complicated grief may require psychologic treatment to resolve their grief and move into life again. The pilot is talking about the death; there is no evidence symptoms of grief are absent. Anniversaries will often trigger memories. Children often show regressive behavior, anger, or fear in response to the loss of a parent.

Answer to #2

ANS: A
Complicated grief can appear as an absence of grief in situations where it would be expected. When deaths and important losses are not mourned, the feelings don't just disappear; they reappear in unexpected ways, sometimes years later. Subsequent losses trigger an extreme reaction to a current loss. Complicated grief can result in clinical symptoms such as depression or anxiety disorders that require professional help. Blaming oneself, wanting to take the place of those who dies, and having sleep problems are normal grief reactions that occur in sudden or traumatic situations.

Answer to #3

ANS: D
Spiritual support for clients and family should be offered. Sitting quietly with the grieving client is supportive, but the grieving client should be encouraged to talk about the loss. Trite reassurances are not supportive.

Answer to #4

Immanent Death: Family Communication Needs
 Honest and complete answers to questions; repetition and further explanation, if needed
 Updates about the client's condition and changes as they occur
 Clear, understandable explanations, delivered with empathy and respect
 Frequent opportunities to express concerns and feelings in a supportive, unhurried environment
 Information about what to expectphysical, emotional, spiritualas death approaches
 Discussion of whom to call, legal issues, memorial or funeral planning
 Conversation about cultural and/or religious rituals at time of and after death
 Appreciation of the conflicts that families experience when the illness dictates that few options exist; for example, a frequent dilemma is whether life support measures are extending life or prolonging the dying phase
 Short, private times to be present and/or minister to the client
 Permission to leave the dying client for short periods with the knowledge that the nurse will contact the family member if there is a change in status

Answer to #5

Nurses are key informants about client status and changes in the client's condition. There are fundamental differences in the level of information an individual or family will desire. The response of the client should determine the content and pace of sharing information. Talking with families about care details and potential outcomes should happen often, but even more frequently when the client's health status begins to decline or show a change. It is often difficult for families to talk about death, and the nurse can facilitate communication. It is important to be honest; false information and reassurances can increase feelings of isolation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  905 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 423