a
t
i
r
r
sunnysummer sunnysummer
wrote...
6 years ago
Praise should be avoided because it is an extrinsic motivator and its use reduces intrinsic motivation.

Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Ques. 2

Your principal comes in to observe your teaching, and you then meet with her to debrief. She points out that Bethany was whispering with Emily at one point during class. She says, Why didn't you intervene? Your response is,

a. They always do that, and if I intervened every time, I'd go crazy. So I pick my times and when I do administer a consequence, I tell them that it's for all the other times I didn't say anything..
  b. Most students were working hard, and I try never to interrupt students while they're working..
  c. It was a very short conversation, and unlikely to be repeated since I was about to move them into groups, so I simply chose not to interrupt the lesson..
  d. Oh, heck. I must have missed that. If I'd seen it, I'd have said something..

Ques. 3

Shanelle, one of your students, is loud and prone to leading the other students in minor misbehavior  chatting, dawdling, or passing notes. She's like a rain cloudwhatever students she's around are likely to be unhappy or engaged in some sort of conflict. By comparison, Eldon, another student in your class, seems easy to manage he is extremely quiet and helpful and generally gets along well with people, although he does seem to do a fair amount of daydreaming and sometimes avoids his work. Sometimes you even forget he's in your class. In terms of management concerns,

a. Shanelle and Eldon both present reasons for concern, and, as their teacher, you must address both Shanelle's misbehavior and Eldon's work avoidance.
  b. Shanelle presents a bigger problem than Eldon, because her misbehavior is so evident and so disruptive to the other students' learning.
  c. Eldon presents a bigger problem than Shanelle, because her behaviors are overt, and his are so subtle that you might miss them if you're not vigilant.
  d. neither Shanelle nor Eldon seem to present significant problems and as their teacher, you can relax your guard a bit.

Ques. 4

In your Latin class, Janna made a 25 on her vocabulary test last week. She made a 60 this week. Janna

a. should be praised because she made significant improvement.
  b. should be praised so she doesn't feel bad about herself.
  c. shouldn't be praised because she still failed the test.
  d. shouldn't be praised because her intrinsic motivation is likely to be lessened.

Ques. 5

A researcher is interested in the effect of teacher-student ratios. She finds 10 fifth-grade classrooms with 30-40 students per class and 10 others with 15-25 students per class. She discovers that there is a negative correlation between class size and student achievement. Which one of the following conclusions can we draw from this study?

A) Although class size doesn't necessarily cause changes in achievement, class size can help us predict school achievement.
  B) Classes should be as large as reasonably possible.
  C) Classes should be as small as reasonably possible.
  D) The researcher has conducted a descriptive study.

Ques. 6

Imagine you are an educational researcher who wants to learn about the type of psychological environment in which middle school students feel most comfortable and best able to concentrate on their studies. You plan to examine a wide variety of factors that might contribute to such an environment, including physical factors (e.g., cleanliness and colorfulness of the school building) and social factors (e.g., teacher-student relationships, general tolerance for diverse behaviors and beliefs). You realize that students might identify important factors that you yourself haven't even thought of. In this situation, your best choice would probably be:

A) A descriptive, quantitative study.
  B) An experimental study with at least three treatment groups.
  C) An experimental study with one treatment group and one control group.
  D) A qualitative study.

Ques. 7

Effective classroom managers demonstrate which of the following behaviors?

a. ongoing awareness of classroom events and student behavior
  b. prompt management of inappropriate behavior
  c. continued efforts to maintain a positive classroom climate
  d. consistency in the implementation of their management plan
  e. b and d only
  f. all of the above

Ques. 8

Your next-door teacher, Mr. Dodd, comes in and says, I can't believe it It's the third day of school and every single student in my each of my classes has been perfectly behaved I'm so happy You know, my professors in college told me that management is an area that causes many beginning teachers concern, but I'm pretty sure they exaggerated its importance. In response you

a. agree that the first few days are a good indication of how the class will behave throughout the year.
  b. tell him not to get too cocky, as the students will undoubtedly go nuts in the next few days.
  c. tell him you're happy he has such a good class, and wish that yours was as easy to manage.
  d. mention that he shouldn't be complacent about management because there is often a honeymoon period at the beginning of the year.

Ques. 9

An effective teacher is absolutely consistent in enforcing rules and procedural expectations.

Ques. 10

Teachers should use non-intrusive interventions when possible to maintain activity flow and student engagement.

Ques. 11

Once you have taught students what is expected of them, you can assume that they will behave appropriately.

Textbook 
Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas To Guide Effective Teaching

Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas To Guide Effective Teaching

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 53 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
SDEAN2319SDEAN2319
wrote...