× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
k
becca29 becca29
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The sociological term for the movement of individuals or groups from one level in a stratification system to another is __________.

a. life chances
 b. stratification
 c. social mobility
 d. meritocracy

Question 2

The National Health and Social Life Survey, conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, reported all of the following findings EXCEPT that:

a. 9 percent of the men said they had at least one homosexual encounter resulting in orgasm.
 b. 2.8 percent of the men and 1.4 percent of the women in this investigation identified themselves as gay or lesbian.
 c. persons who engaged in extramarital sex found their activities to be less thrilling than those with a marital partner, but they also felt less guilt.
 d. persons in sustained relationships such as marriage or cohabitation found sexual activity to be the most satisfying emotionally and physically.

Question 3

Define and explain what is meant by racial socialization.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 4

According to the text, one of the most important characteristics of systems of stratification is their degree of __________.

a. authenticity
 b. fairness
 c. flexibility
 d. visibility

Question 5

Kissing is found primarily in Western cultures; many African and Asian cultures view kissing negatively. This is an example of:

a. miscegenation differences.
 b. differences in intimacy across cultures.
 c. taboos.
 d. disproportionate sanctions.

Question 6

Define and explain what is meant by gender socialization.

What will be an ideal response?
Read 36 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to q. 1

c

Answer to q. 2

c

Answer to q. 3

Racial socialization is the aspect of socialization that contains specific messages and practices concerning the nature of one's racial or ethnic status as it relates to our identity, interpersonal relationships, and location in the social hierarchy. Racial socialization includes direct statements regarding race, modeling behavior, and indirect activities such as exposure to an environment that conveys a specific message about a racial or ethnic group. The most important aspects of racial identity and attitudes toward other racialethnic groups are passed down in families from generation to generation. Some minority parents feel that racial socialization is essential because it provides children with the skills and abilities they will need to survive in the larger society.

Answer to q. 4

c

Answer to q. 5

b

Answer to q. 6

Gender socialization is the aspect of socialization that contains specific messages and practices concerning the nature of being female or male in a specific group or society. O n e o f t h e p r i m a r y a g e n t s o f g e n d e r s o c i a l i z a t i o n i s t h e

f a m i l y . In some families, gender socialization starts before the child's birth. Parents who learn the sex of the fetus often purchase color-coded and gender-typed clothes, toys, and nursery decorations in anticipation of their daughter's or son's arrival. After the child has been born, parents may respond differently toward male and female infants; they often play more roughly with boys and talk more lovingly to girls. Throughout childhood and adolescence, boys and girls are typically assigned different household chores and given different. Like the family, schools, peer groups, and the media contribute to our gender socialization. From kindergarten through college, teachers and peers reward gender-appropriate attitudes and behavior. Sports reinforce traditional gender roles through a rigid division of events into male and female categories. The media are also a powerful source of gender socialization starting very early in childhood, children's books, television programs, movies, and music provide subtle and not-so-subtle messages about how boys and girls should act.
becca29 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
What an excellent community, thanks for answering
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  892 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Related Images