w
j
a
a
reubank reubank
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
In one sentence, explain how it is possible for genetically identical plant cells to become quite different
  from each other. What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Differentiate between primary and secondary growth in plants, as to the result of each, and where each
  type of growth would be most likely to occur. What will be an ideal response?
Read 52 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to q. 1

In the process of differential gene expression, genetically identical cells can have different genes being
activated while others are inactivated, resulting in those cells becoming structurally and functionally
different.

Answer to q. 2

Primary growth refers to growth in stem and root length. This vertical growth occurs only at
the root and shoot tips, specifically at the root and shoot apical meristems. Primary growth
results in the formation of primary tissues, such as primary xylem, primary phloem,
parenchyma, collenchyma, and sclerenchyma. Secondary growth refers to lateral growth; i.e.,
secondary growth results in an increase in the girth of the plant. Secondary growth results
from the activity of lateral meristems, which in term produce secondary tissues: the vascular
cambium produces secondary xylem and secondary phloem, and the cork cambium produces
cork parenchyma and cork cells. These last three tissues comprise the periderm which replaces
the epidermis in woody plants.
reubank Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Mind blown, I've bookmarked this site on told my friends
wrote...
6 years ago
Really appreciate that
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  914 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 19
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?