a
t
i
r
SIN SIN
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
1.   A __________ is a circular platter constructed of nonmagnetic material, called the substrate, coated with a magnetizable material.

2.   Data are recorded on and later retrieved from the disk via a conducting coil named the _________.

3.   Data is organized on the platter in a concentric set of rings called ________.

4.   To increase density in a straightforward CAV system, modern hard disk systems use a technique known as __________, in which the surface is divided into a number of concentric zones.

5.   In a _________ disk there is one read-write head per track and all of the heads are mounted on a rigid arm that extends across all tracks.

6.   In a __________ disk there is only one read-write head mounted on an arm that can be extended or retracted to be able to be positioned above any track.

7.   The _________ disk is a small, flexible platter and the least expensive type of disk.

8.   __________ heads are used in sealed drive assemblies that are almost free of contaminants and the head is actually an aerodynamic foil that rests lightly on the platter’s surface when the disk is motionless.

9.   On a movable-head system, the time it takes to position the head at the track is known as __________.

10.   The time required to move the disk arm to the required track is the __________.

11.   The _________ strategy employs multiple disk drives and distributes data in such a way as to enable simultaneous access to data from multiple drives, thereby improving I/O performance and allowing easier incremental increases in capacity.

12.    RAID levels 2 and 3 make use of a _________ access technique in which all member disks participate in the execution of every I/O request.

13.    A _________ drive is a memory device made with solid-state components that can be used as a replacement to a hard disk drive.

14.    The typical recording technique used in serial tapes is referred to as _________ recording.

15.    RAID levels 4 through 6 make use of an __________ access technique that allows separate I/O requests to be satisfied in parallel.
Source  Computer Organization and Architecture, 10 Edition, by William Stallings
Read 29 times
1 Reply