f
a
d
c
Aliya1 Aliya1
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
6 years ago
16. Sickle cell anemia is a disease that is caused by a mutation in the gene that produces hemoglobin.  Hemoglobin carries oxygen in red blood cells.  The HbA allele produces normal hemoglobin and the HbS allele produces hemoglobin that sticks together and causes red blood cells to sickle.  Heterozygous indivuals (HbAHbS) produce both normal and "sickle" hemoglobin so the HbA and HbS alleles are codominant.  Heterozygotes do not develop sickle cell anemia and are described as having the sickle cell trait.  Individuals that are homozygous for the sickle allele (HbSHbS) only produce "sickle" hemoglobin and develop sickle cell disease.

Note:  Individuals that have sickle cell trait and sickle cell disease have protection against malaria so the HbS allele is higher in areas where malaria is common. 

A man who is homozygous for the normal allele married a woman with the sickle cell trait. What is the expected probability of this couple having a boy with the sickle cell trait?

Record your answer as a value between 0 and 1 rounded to two decimal places.

#17.A man with the sickle cell trait married a woman with the sickle cell trait. Determine the probability that they will have children with the sickle cell trait or sickle cell disease.

Record your answer as a value between 0 and 1 rounded to two decimal places. 

* not sure what to do here given that this is my first time doing biology 30 online. And this part is very confusing to me.
Read 82 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 290 words.