H
a
c
k
magicman9 magicman9
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Why is the Haitian Revolution either ignored or viewed differently than the other revolutions of the 17th (Britain's Glorious), 18th (American and French) and 19th centuries (most of Latin America)? 
Read 93 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
6 years ago
I found an essay online that explains this.

The Haitian Revolution – the first successful rebellion of African slaves in the Americas – horrified whites throughout the Atlantic world. For slaveowners and their allies, the world was turned upside down; the very words "Saint-Domingue" conjured up a terrifying alternative universe in which whites could lose their power, their fortunes, and even their lives. For over a century, these cataclysmic effects prompted a kind of amnesia in both the United States and France in which the Haitian Revolution was erased from both popular and scholarly memory.

What accounts for this disparity in remembering Haiti? Elsewhere, I have considered several factors ranging from American foreign policy to institutional differences to the ways the histories of slavery and race have been treated in the United States and in France. Indeed, though these countries share slaveholding pasts, they have followed different paths in studying and remembering them. In the United States, a Civil War and a Civil Rights movement have made citizens acutely conscious of race, even if they have not always agreed about how to regard its historical legacy.

View the link to read where I found this!
Source  https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wsfh/0642292.0034.019/--atlantic-amnesia-french-historians-the-haitian-revolution?rgn=main;view=fulltext
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1292 People Browsing
 128 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 447

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?