× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Yeah, they may lie to some, but with me studying to be a dentist and all I was interested in looking at the x-rays. My tooth is indeed growing in crooked, its pointing towards the other teeth instead of growing straight up. My other tooth is fine and does not have to be removed. The advantage I have here is that since I am covered by insurance, they can only remove it if it is necessary. The insurance would not cover it if they did not provide proof of the tooth causing a problem. For the people who pay out of their own pocket, I guess then dentists might try to scam them.
- FluffyBunny<3
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Yeah, they may lie to some, but with me studying to be a dentist and all I was interested in looking at the x-rays. My tooth is indeed growing in crooked, its pointing towards the other teeth instead of growing straight up. My other tooth is fine and does not have to be removed. The advantage I have here is that since I am covered by insurance, they can only remove it if it is necessary. The insurance would not cover it if they did not provide proof of the tooth causing a problem. For the people who pay out of their own pocket, I guess then dentists might try to scam them.

Can you please provide me studies that in explicitly state that is necessary?
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
Scam - not worth the pain.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
The removal of crooked wisdom teeth?
http://www.uihealthcare.com/reports/dentistry/030317wisdomteeth.html

mainly this paragraph
Wisdom teeth may need to be removed for a number of reasons. The most common reason, according to Synan, is when only a small portion of the tooth breaks through the gum, making cleaning difficult. Bacteria can get under the gum and cause inflammation and infection. When wisdom teeth are in malposition, or come in crooked, they can cause bone loss, tooth decay or loss of the teeth in front of them. Upper wisdom teeth that point outwards can also cause the patient to frequently bite their cheeks, possibly resulting in an ulceration of the cheek tissue.

All I know is that my boyfriend has his wisdom teeth growing in, his x-rays show they're fine and straight, so he didn't get them removed. We go to the same dentist. But my x-rays show one of mine is crooked, and my jaw is hurting completely on that side to the point where I can't eat.
I'm not saying dentists do not scam people by removing wisdom teeth that do not need to be removed, I'm sure they do that.
I'm just saying some people actually do need to get them removed, and if they think that its only a scam, they might be risking not fixing a problem that will cause them pain and discomfort later on.
- FluffyBunny<3
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
yessiiex3, I want scientific journal articles, not a website. I want the real thing. There are probably thousands of website that say this also.

Upper wisdom teeth that point outwards can also cause the patient to frequently bite their cheeks, possibly resulting in an ulceration of the cheek tissue.

This I can relate to, but it could also be confused with a canker sore.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
All I can find are journals on why removing wisdom teeth should be discontinued, which I agree with.
They say that it should be discontinued for people who have healthy wisdom teeth that are not giving them any problems.

I agree with you guys, removing wisdom teeth has become a scam for dentists who want to make that extra $$.

The only thing I said is that SOME people actually do need to get them removed, and they should not just ignore their dentist thinking its a scam. They should further inquire and make sure that their wisdom teeth, like mine, are actually growing in crooked.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/download_wm_image.html/M782267-Abnormal_wisdom_tooth,_X-ray-SPL.jpg?id=777820267

^That is honestly how mine looked, and it will look like that for some people who will NEED removal. I am only getting one removed, the other one is staying in.
I just want people to know that they shouldn't just immediately ignore their dentist when it comes to the removal of wisdom teeth, they should just make sure they actually do need it.
- FluffyBunny<3
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
All I can find are journals on why removing wisdom teeth should be discontinued, which I agree with.
They say that it should be discontinued for people who have healthy wisdom teeth that are not giving them any problems.

I agree with you guys, removing wisdom teeth has become a scam for dentists who want to make that extra $$.

The only thing I said is that SOME people actually do need to get them removed, and they should not just ignore their dentist thinking its a scam. They should further inquire and make sure that their wisdom teeth, like mine, are actually growing in crooked.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/download_wm_image.html/M782267-Abnormal_wisdom_tooth,_X-ray-SPL.jpg?id=777820267

^That is honestly how mine looked, and it will look like that for some people who will NEED removal. I am only getting one removed, the other one is staying in.
I just want people to know that they shouldn't just immediately ignore their dentist when it comes to the removal of wisdom teeth, they should just make sure they actually do need it.

I'm not going to lie to you and say that that doesn't look scary:

And perhaps that happens to a very small population, I mean, if people are born with extra limbs, why can't something like this happen in nature, but for the most part, I would shy away from it.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
I'm not going to lie to you and say that that doesn't look scary:

And perhaps that happens to a very small population, I mean, if people are born with extra limbs, why can't something like this happen in nature, but for the most part, I would shy away from it.

Haha, yeah imagine my shock when I see that on my x-ray. But the funny thing is, it happens a lot more often than you'd think. Maybe not completely crooked like that, but crooked to the point where it would cause problems if not removed.
I just don't want people thinking they shouldn't listen to their dentist, what if they have something like the picture above and do not listen? The problems just intensify in the future... I'd rather remove it now, than have it removed later because it cracked or it got infected.
- FluffyBunny<3
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, yessiiex3
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bQ0SqifjNcg/TA6qdQLRmDI/AAAAAAAAVwY/qqWnRNZdP-o/s1600/wisdom-teeth.jpg

It is a lot more common than you think.
People should just inquire further when they're told they need their wisdom teeth removed, if your x-ray looks like this, remove them. If not, obviously keep them and save yourself the unnecessary pain and keep your money.

http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens8268061_12591982032.jpg
^This person only needs to have the bottom two removed, the top wisdom teeth are growing in fine and are healthy. However, the scam might come in when the dentist wants to remove all 4 and you pay for two unnecessary removals.
- FluffyBunny<3
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Good point. My dentist set a date for me without my consent or without even taking an x-ray - I told him, 'hey, you're not the only professional in this room, so watch what you do next time without my notice.' Never went there again.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4