Read 644 times
19 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
I would like to know on how solar storm affect barometric pressure

Solar wind injects charged particles into the outer regions of the Earth’s atmosphere, the thermosphere, that stretches out to about 600km. This has a heating effect which causes the thermosphere to expand and contract.

At lower, denser parts of the atmosphere, the thinking is that during a Forbush decrease (explained below), these charged particles can penetrate further into the atmosphere. Here, the heating effect causes the atmosphere to expand. It is this that influences atmospheric pressure.
-- A Forbush Decrease is when magnetic clouds temporarily lower our defenses as more particles from the solar winds enter through and dump their load in the upper atmosphere.

Clearly the most extreme events will occur when a Forbush decrease occurs at the same time that the solar wind is at its most powerful. Charged particles are also thought to have a big impact on the rate of cloud formation, since their ionising effect can trigger water droplet formation.
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, Pavel
But what of lower, denser parts of the atmosphere? The thinking is that during a Forbush decrease (explained below), these charged particles can penetrate further into the atmosphere. Here, the heating effect causes the atmosphere to expand. It is this that influences atmospheric pressure. A Forbush Decrease is when magnetic clouds temporarily lower our defenses as more particles from the solar winds enter through and dump their load in the upper atmosphere.

Hi bio_man I'm confused about the part I quote. I thought the earth's magnetic field diverts the solar winds away from the planet? Compare that to Mars and the moon whose magnetic field barely exists, and also lacks an atmosphere is bombarded by solar flares.
Post Merge: 5 years ago

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
At lower, denser parts of the atmosphere, the thinking is that during a Forbush decrease (explained below), these charged particles can penetrate further into the atmosphere. Here, the heating effect causes the atmosphere to expand. It is this that influences atmospheric pressure. -- A Forbush Decrease is when magnetic clouds temporarily lower our defenses as more particles from the solar winds enter through and dump their load in the upper atmosphere.

That is a very good explanation.
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I thought the earth's magnetic field diverts the solar winds away from the planet?

That's true, however, the Earth's magnetosphere deflects only some of the solar wind.

At lower, denser parts of the atmosphere, the thinking is that during a Forbush decrease (explained below), these charged particles can penetrate further into the atmosphere. Here, the heating effect causes the atmosphere to expand. It is this that influences atmospheric pressure. -- A Forbush Decrease is when magnetic clouds temporarily lower our defenses as more particles from the solar winds enter through and dump their load in the upper atmosphere.
That is a very good explanation. Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)

You're welcome!
wrote...
5 years ago
Wendel, J. (2015), How the solar wind may affect weather and climate, Eos, 96, doi:10.1029/2015EO022311. Published on 15 January 2015.

try this
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Wendel, J. (2015), How the solar wind may affect weather and climate, Eos, 96, doi:10.1029/2015EO022311. Published on 15 January 2015. try this

I find the articles, but it mentions not much about the roots cause on climate.

https://eos.org/research-spotlights/solar-wind-may-affect-weather-climate

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
At lower, denser parts of the atmosphere, the thinking is that during a Forbush decrease (explained below), these charged particles can penetrate further into the atmosphere. Here, the heating effect causes the atmosphere to expand. It is this that influences atmospheric pressure.

I would like to confirm on whether atmospheric pressure would be higher or lower when atmosphere is expanded.

Do you have any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
From what I know, the atmosphere expands and contracts as temperature increases and decreases. Temperature and pressure are directly proportional: As temperature increases, pressure increases.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following source as shown below,

"As air warms up, these molecules move faster and bump into each other, increasing the space between molecules. Because the molecules occupy more space, the air expands and becomes less dense. When air molecules expand in, air pressure decrease." On the other words, when temperature increase, air pressure decrease.

Would it be wrong statement?

Do you have any suggestions?

Ref:
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Yes, that statement is correct
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I think your statement is correct, but based on YouTube's statement, it seems that Temperature and pressure are reversal proportional.  When I mention pressure, which refer to barometric pressure, not air molecules' density.  When air molecules expand in, air pressure should be increase, not decrease.

Do you have any suggestions on what wrong it is within YouTube's statement?

Temperature and pressure are directly proportional: As temperature increases, pressure increases.

"As air warms up, these molecules move faster and bump into each other, increasing the space between molecules. Because the molecules occupy more space, the air expands and becomes less dense. When air molecules expand in, air pressure decrease." On the other words, when temperature increase, air pressure decrease.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
my original statement came from the ideal gas law formula, I will ask an expert friend of mine for his input and report back shortly
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
The term barometric pressure is synonymous with the term air pressure when describing conditions in the atmosphere, and may also be referred to as atmospheric pressure. Like all matter, air is composed of molecules. These molecules have mass and are subjected to the force of Earth’s gravity. Air pressure is the weight of air molecules pressing down on you. Inhabitants on Earth’s surface bear the weight of all the air molecules in the atmosphere. At higher altitudes, air pressure decreases because there are fewer air molecules pressing down from above compared with the air pressure at sea level.

Warm air causes air pressure to rise. When air molecules collide, they exert force on each other. When gas molecules are heated, the molecules move more quickly, and the increased velocity causes more collisions. As a result, more force is exerted on each molecule and air pressure increases. Temperature affects air pressure at different altitudes due to a disparity in air density. Given two columns of air at different temperatures, the column of warmer air will experience the same air pressure at a higher altitude that is measured at a lower altitude in the cooler column of air.

Cool temperatures cause air pressure to drop. When gas molecules cool, they move more slowly. Decreased velocity results in fewer collisions between molecules and air pressure decreases. Air density plays a role in the correlation between temperature and pressure because warmer air is less dense than cool air, allowing molecules to have more space to collide with greater force. In cooler air, the molecules are closer together. The proximity results in collisions with less force and lower air pressure.

That's the best explanation I could find, here's URL for reference: https://sciencing.com/temperature-affect-barometric-pressure-5013070.html
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1134 People Browsing
 143 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249