a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following video, I would like to know and confirm on what condition of Barometric Pressure  affect fishing at different sea level?

1) High Pressure (Fishing at deeper or surface levels?)
2) Rising Pressure (Fishing at deeper or surface levels?)
3) Normal Pressure (Fishing at deeper or surface levels?)
4) Falling Pressure (Fishing at deeper or surface levels?)
5) Low Pressure (Fishing at deeper or surface levels?)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Read 707 times
29 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
This makes sense, especially when he describes the anatomy of the fish. I never thought about this in the past. I also confirmed what he said from various fishing sources, here's what I found.

Rising Barometer

When the barometer is rising, weather conditions are relatively clear or improving. Fish movement becomes slightly more active. The best lures to use when the barometer is rising are brightly colored ones, such as fluorescents. Focus on casting the lure next to cover if the fish are suspended in shallow water; let the lure sink to intermediate and deeper depths if the fish are in deeper water.

High Pressure

After the rising barometer hits a high point, the skies are clear with overall bright light conditions. During this time, fish activity is generally slower, as the fish find cover or swim into deeper water. Use slower fishing techniques, such as vertical jigging, to attract bites. You can also use weedless hooks to cast the baits into cover where fish are hiding.

Falling Barometer

When the barometer falls, weather conditions are generally getting worse, with the potential for storms. Fish react to the falling barometer with increased movement and feeding activity. Take advantage of this activity by increasing the speed of your retrieve, to cover more area. You can use crankbaits or spinnerbaits for casting over feeding areas. Focus on topwater or shallow bait presentations.

Low Pressure

When the falling barometer is at its lowest point, weather conditions are rainy and stormy. Fish patterns become less active and continue to decrease as the storm continues. After the storm, focus on bait presentations in deeper depths to attract the fish that have moved to the bottom. Use slow bait presentations, as fish are not actively feeding during times of low barometric pressure.

High Pressure (30.50 +) = Clear Skies = Fishing Medium to Slow = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Medium Pressure (29.70 – 30.40) = Fair Weather = Normal Fishing = Test lures, baits, and techniques to see what works.
Low Pressure (29.60 -) = Cloudy/Rainy Weather = Fishing Slows = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Rising Pressure = Improving Weather = Fish Slightly Active = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Stable Pressure = Fair Weather = Normal Fishing = Best time to test lures, baits, and techniques to see what works.
Falling Pressure = Degrading Weather = Best Fishing = The fish will attack anything you throw at them. (well, pretty much)

Hope this helps
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Low Pressure

When the falling barometer is at its lowest point, weather conditions are rainy and stormy. Fish patterns become less active and continue to decrease as the storm continues. After the storm, focus on bait presentations in deeper depths to attract the fish that have moved to the bottom. Use slow bait presentations, as fish are not actively feeding during times of low barometric pressure.

Swim bladder is getting the smallest size at barometer's lowest point, I would like to know on why fish moving patterns become less active and continue to decrease.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Boyle’s Law explains the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas. The swim bladder holds air. According to his law, as pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases; and, as pressure decreases, the volume of a gas increases.

I have created a video on this subject in the past:

So, if scientists bring fish from the twilight zone—where the pressure is high—to the surface, where the pressure is lower, the volume of the gases in the swim bladder increases causing the swim bladder to expand. The swim bladder can expand so much that it can crush other vital organs inside the fish and cause the fish to die or slow down.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on any reference materials related to how moon phrase effect fishing activities.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
I found one paper below, and it's for one specific fish.

We argue that this variation is evidence that the effect of the lunar cycle on catch is mediated by biological factors and is not due solely to angler effort and reflects lunar synchronization in feeding. This effect has been attributed to variation among moon phases in lunar illumination, but our results do not support that hypothesis for angler-caught muskellunge.

Also, I found the following: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15162747 But it's inaccessible without purchasing.
 Attached file 
(1522.03 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following articles, I would like to know any materials on what John Alden Knight's hypothesis is related to solunar theory.

The solunar theory is a hypothesis that animals and fish move according to the location of the moon in comparison to their bodies.[1] The theory was laid out in 1926 by John Alden Knight, but was said to be used by hunters and fishermen long before the time it was published.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solunar_theory
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Hi OEM

I read the wiki article. Apparently there were 33 things hypothesized by John Alden, and only 3 three things have been proven, and the rest have been dismissed. The three factors retained were the sun, the moon and the tide. You can read more about those 33 things if you buy his book which he wrote in 1926. But a word of caution, 30 out of 33 didn't come true and are considered folklore so he doesn't have the best reputation.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
What title do you find for his book? Do you  refer to the following reference? I cannot find this title in library and not able to find in amazon book too.

Knight, John. "Solunar Tables for Fishermen Produced by Register-Guard." The Register-Guard, 11 May 1949: 10. Print.
Post Merge: 5 years ago

I would like to know on how to calculate the Solunar Times, do you find any materials on how to calculate Solunar Times and date accurately?

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
To address your first question, I found this

https://www.amazon.com/modern-angler-Including-solunar-theory/dp/B0006AN81C/ref=sr_1_7/141-4266667-1167469?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1527382350&sr=1-7&refinements=p_27%3AJohn+Alden+Knight

https://www.amazon.com/modern-angler-including-solunar-theory/dp/B002FZUVDY/ref=sr_1_14/141-4806087-1520667?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1527382380&sr=1-14&refinements=p_27%3AJohn+Alden+Knight&dpID=418SRDMlttL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

I'll address you second question in my next post!
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
I would like to know on how to calculate the Solunar Times, do you find any materials on how to calculate Solunar Times and date accurately?

An excellent resource to familiarize yourself with before embarking on this is: https://solunar.com

The website mentions that there are several key factors that go into creating a Solunar Table:

1) Knowing to the minute when the sun and moon each rise and set;
2) Knowing when the full or new moon occurs;
3) Knowing the local weather conditions;
4) Knowing the change in photoperiodism (the ratio of daylight to darkness for a given day).

These are explained below...

SUN/MOON RISE/SET

First, you need a good way to determine the sunset, sunrise, moonset, and moonrise times for the exact location where you want to fish. For this, I suggest you search Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year, for example, on Google.

FULL/NEW MOON

Know these and when they occur, can be found almost anywhere these days.

LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS

This is the toughest one, and is something that you cannot compute into the Solunar Table too far in advance. Instead, you need to simply keep an eye on the local weather forecasts, and use your "gut feel" for when a shift in weather will coincide with the sun/moon rise/set times.

PHOTOPERIOD

The photoperiod is simply the ratio of daylight to darkness. For example, if the sun rises at 7:00am, and sets at 7:00pm, then there are twelve hours of daylight, and twelve hours of darkness, for a ratio of 1:1. All that this particular factor accounts for, then, is the change in seasons over the course of the year.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
SUN/MOON RISE/SETFirst, you need a good way to determine the sunset, sunrise, moonset, and moonrise times for the exact location where you want to fish. For this, I suggest you search Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year, for example, on Google.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

Try this website (slow to load, wait)
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Boyle’s Law explains the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas. The swim bladder holds air. According to his law, as pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases; and, as pressure decreases, the volume of a gas increases.

So, if scientists bring fish from the twilight zone—where the pressure is high—to the surface, where the pressure is lower, the volume of the gases in the swim bladder increases causing the swim bladder to expand. The swim bladder can expand so much that it can crush other vital organs inside the fish and cause the fish to die or slow down.

During high barometric pressure, swim bladder contract, fish should GO UP to sea surface to reduce external pressure pushing from outside.

Duing low barometric pressure, swim bladder expand, fish should GO UP to sea surface to reduce internal pressure pushing from inside.

It seems on both high or low barometric pressure, fish should GO UP to sea surface to reduce pressure,

Do you have any suggestions on whether above statement is correct or not in term of physics and biology?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
The swim bladder is used for buoyancy. It is inflated like a balloon when the fish wants to move up, and when the water pressure is high, this requires a biological energy investment. As the fish ascends, the pressure in the swimbladder must adjust to prevent it from bursting. When the fish wants to return to the depths of the sea, the swimbladder is deflated.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  976 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204