a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
The swim bladder is used for buoyancy. It is inflated like a balloon when the fish wants to move up, and when the water pressure is high, this requires a biological energy investment. As the fish ascends, the pressure in the swimbladder must adjust to prevent it from bursting. When the fish wants to return to the depths of the sea, the swimbladder is deflated.

During swimming under the ocean, can fish able to control their swim bladder size - expand or contract?
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
During swimming under the ocean, can fish able to control their swim bladder size - expand or contract?

That's correct, they can control is put there requires an input of energy.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
That's correct, they can control is put there requires an input of energy.

where the pressure is lower, the volume of the gases in the swim bladder increases causing the swim bladder to expand. The swim bladder can expand so much that it can crush other vital organs inside the fish and cause the fish to die or slow down.

If fishes can control swim bladder size, during low barometric pressure, fishes can reduce the air within swim bladder, so there is no way to crush other vital organs inside the fish, would it be correct statement? However, would lower barometric pressure increase fishes' blood pressure as well? that is nothing fishes can control

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Hi again

According to Boyle's law, low pressure is balanced with higher volumes, whereas higher pressures are balanced with lower volumes.

If fishes can control swim bladder size, during low barometric pressure, fishes can reduce the air within swim bladder, so there is no way to crush other vital organs inside the fish, would it be correct statement?

As far as I know, the only organ that could be affected is the stomach, because if the bladder expands, it presses on the stomach. Fish would move up and down in the water column to account for the change in pressure -- that's another theory (unproven).

However, would lower barometric pressure increase fishes' blood pressure as well?

I'm not sure about this. Different physiology than humans...

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following image, fish with swim bladder must live within specific deeper of ocean, such as 10 ~ 50 m, I would like to know on what the maximum changing height (m) fish can move up or down within their comforted zone, so the swim bladder would not expand too quick and fish still feel comfortable.

1) Moving down 1 meter under ocean would increase 100 hPa,
2) Moving up 1 meter under ocean would decrease 100 hPa,
Would this roughly data be correct?

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
This question I'm not sure. I know it's around 1 atm increase for every 10 meters, but this doesn't apply to fish because they're well adapted anatomically to sea pressure (they don't have lungs or pockets of air that can collapse).

I wish I could give you the data for how the swim bladder changes per meter depth, but that information isn't accessible to me.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
This question I'm not sure. I know it's around 1 atm increase for every 10 meters, but this doesn't apply to fish because they're well adapted anatomically to sea pressure (they don't have lungs or pockets of air that can collapse).

I wish I could give you the data for how the swim bladder changes per meter depth, but that information isn't accessible to me.

Let assume increasing 1 atm = 1013 hPa for every 10 meters (moving downward), 1033 hPa is defined as high barometric pressure and 999 is defined as low barometric pressure, so there is difference 1033 - 999 = 34 hPa range, so whenever low barometric pressure reach 999 hPa, fish only need to drop below 4 cm in order to balance the change in atmosphere.

Conclusively, barometric pressure would not effect on fish's swim bladder at all, since fish can easily move up or down 10 cm without any uncomfortable.  Would it be correct statement? what do you think?

Post Merge: 5 years ago

As we stand on sea level at 1013 hPa, I would like to know on how high we should go in order to feel 999 hPa barometric pressure.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
As we stand on sea level at 1013 hPa, I would like to know on how high we should go in order to feel 999 hPa barometric pressure.

I found this formula:

Are you good enough at math to solve for \(alt\)?

Source https://www.brisbanehotairballooning.com.au/pressure-and-altitude-conversion/

An example calculation is found in the source link.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Conclusively, barometric pressure would not effect on fish's swim bladder at all, since fish can easily move up or down 10 cm without any uncomfortable.  Would it be correct statement? what do you think?

I can't definitively conclude with yes or no, difficult to answer.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
The result is 385 meters (999 hPa) above sea level (1013 hPa), let assume each floor is about 3.5 meter, which is equal to 110 floor, if we take elevator from ground level into 110 floor, what do you feel?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Your ears would pop. I live on the 34th floor or a building and I always feel it
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
so do you feel stress when you go home and feel comfortable when you leave home? Grinning Face Face with Stuck-out Tongue

Do changing pressure daily affect your emotion at all?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
That's an excellent question. If it does cause stress or other psychological issues like headaches, it hasn't been any different for me than when I used to live in a house at sea level. Maybe all the times I've gotten angry has been from the pressure difference? Maybe not... I think the affect is very subtle until you reach a higher altitude. Maybe we should ask someone working in the penthouse of Burj Kalifa in Dubai. I think that building reaches 110 floors or more
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I might try to find any building with above 110 levels, and would like to know on what I feel within my body as I go from ground floor to 110 floor.

Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1313 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?