× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
junior272 junior272
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi,

I am currently studying environmental health and one of the topics i have been given is Health Inequalities. I am trying to get my head round the topic and i need some help. What i do know is health inequalities is a very broad area and i have narrowed down the area to the basics. I am not asking anyone to do write an essay for me just general ideas and opinions on health inequalities, i have done my research but im still a little unsure.

What are health inequalities?

What evidence is avialable that health inequalities exist?
Read 2432 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
You're gonna love me for this Slight Smile
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmhealth/286/286.pdf

Health ineqaulities are the reflection of social inequality through health. They are related directly to them. Health ineqaulities can include access to health services, types of diets and food available, the stress of being in different positions in society, the oppurtunities for stress relief.
They are caused by social class, gender, race, sexuality orientation.

In terms of class people have different access according to their wealth to the afformentioned health resources and their different positions in society cuase different levels of stress and allow for different amounts of stress relief

A miner has a stressful and hazardous job and a low income therefore will find it harder to pay for health and stress releif services and might not have access to healthier diets nor time to explore alternative lifestyles

A university lecturer has a stressful job a lot of diposble income to spend on treatment and relief as well as more time to take off and explore alternative lifestyles.
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi,

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Just what i needed!!!!! Like i said Health inequalites is broad area and i have been asked to produce an essay of 1100 words. I have done a lot of reading but i have overdone it and got really confused.

so when im talking about "what are health inequalities" would this include income, age, gender, socio economic status etc?

Also evidence for health inequalities im a little confused about this question...........iv decided to write about evidences that health inequalities exist with a few examples, do you think that would be ok?
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
so when im talking about "what are health inequalities" would this include income, age, gender, socio economic status etc?

Yeah, exactly... and yes Smiling Face with Open Mouth
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Can you point me towards any examples? are you related to bioman in anyway? lol he's helped me a lot on my microbiology work
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
Can you point me towards any examples? are you related to bioman in anyway? lol he's helped me a lot on my microbiology work
heck no, lol dont even know him, just use his forum to make money LMAO
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
lol oh right sorry i just assumed you were having the same name bio names lol.......................... ......Can you point me towards any examples?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
lol oh right sorry i just assumed you were having the same name bio names lol.......................... ......Can you point me towards any examples?

Hey Junior, what is it specifically you need examples of?

BTW, thanks for your assistance biolove!
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I have been asked to provide evidence of health inequalities so i am assuming it is asking for examples they exist!!! does that make sense? i have done most of the written work, on the areas i am confused about are what are health inequalities and evidence for health inequalities

Also i am studying environmental health so any advice given on health inequaility needs to be related. Thank you for all the help given so far.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I have been asked to provide evidence of health inequalities so i am assuming it is asking for examples they exist!!! does that make sense? i have done most of the written work, on the areas i am confused about are what are health inequalities and evidence for health inequalities

Also i am studying environmental health so any advice given on health inequaility needs to be related. Thank you for all the help given so far.

Hey,

The gap in life expectancy is a striking example of health inequality, and this can be  found in almost any country. Take a look at the poorest neighbourhoods in your country versus the richer ones. Take England, for example, on average, people in the poorest neighbourhoods will die seven years earlier than people in the richest neighbourhoods. In fact, a seven-year gap in male life expectancy also exists in Kensington and Chelsea. Most commonly, low socioeconomic status is identified as the principal cause of poorer health outcomes. However, other factors such as ethnicity, mental health, disability, gender, and age make a significant contribution.

Infertility is also another example. Only the rich are able to afford infertility treatment since it is not publicly funded. Considerable variation continues to exist and patients' ability to access treatment also often depends upon where they live.

A straightforward example of health inequality is higher incidence of disease X in group A as compared with group B of population P. If disease X is randomly or equally distributed among all groups of population P, then there is no presence of health inequality in that population.

Cool?
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey bio_man

Thanks for replying back, im starting to understand the topic now thanks for the examples you gave me. Ill use those examples and go into more detail with them. How about over where you are, are there any recent specific examples?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey bio_man

Thanks for replying back, im starting to understand the topic now thanks for the examples you gave me. Ill use those examples and go into more detail with them. How about over where you are, are there any recent specific examples?

I would say the fertility one here in Canada; you have to pay big bucks to get pregnant via in vitro.
junior272 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi

Thanks for the info bio_man. Would you be willing to look at a small draft iv written its two paragraphs? just to see if im on the right track and not gone off topic. The only problem i have is i post the two paragraphs iv written on here, its an essay im writing and dont want anyone else to use what iv written until i hand it in, so if i can email it you privately let me know, if anyone else is willing to read what i have written please let me know.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1279 People Browsing
Related Images