a
t
i
r
r
barmour44 barmour44
wrote...
4 years ago
You are an infant care provider. The mother of a Korean American infant who is enrolled in your center asks, "When should my infant sleep apart from me in his own bed?" Which response to this mother best reflects current thinking on the topic?

▸ There are cultural variations in sleeping arrangements. Beliefs and world views determine whether an infant sleeps alone or with parents. Research suggests, however, that in industrialized societies separate sleeping quarters within the first year will enhance personality formation, so you should try to achieve separate sleeping arrangements by age one.

▸ In all but highly impoverished societies, infants sleep alone soon after birth. The universal practice of providing separate sleeping quarters may have evolved as a way to promote independence, so you should try to achieve separate sleeping arrangements as soon after birth as possible.

▸ There is cultural variation in the age at which infants sleep alone. However, in almost all cultural groups infants sleep separately by six months, so you should try to achieve separate sleeping arrangements during the first half-year of life.

▸ There is cultural variation in sleeping arrangements. Beliefs and world views determine whether an infant sleeps alone or with parents. There is no evidence that one arrangement is superior, so you should follow your own beliefs and the practices of your family and culture.
Textbook 
Early Childhood Development: A Multicultural Perspective

Early Childhood Development: A Multicultural Perspective

Edition: 7th
Author:
Read 86 times
1 Reply