i
r
r
trin trin
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
I brewed a batch of beer a few weeks ago, 5 gallons worth. Before you take the original gravity reading you are suppose to chill the wort to 70 F. I had gotten a late start and I took it when it was still in the brew pot and the temperature was 177 F. I know that it would affect the reading and make it lower than it should be. The original gravity reading was 1.046. Given the scenario of what happened, what do you think the actual original gravity reading may have been???  Neutral Face
Read 1450 times
4 Replies
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
I brewed a batch of beer a few weeks ago, 5 gallons worth. Before you take the original gravity reading you are suppose to chill the wort to 70 F. I had gotten a late start and I took it when it was still in the brew pot and the temperature was 177 F. I know that it would affect the reading and make it lower than it should be. The original gravity reading was 1.046. Given the scenario of what happened, what do you think the actual original gravity reading may have been???  Neutral Face

Not to sound nerdy, but isn't there a formula that relates these together?
trin Author
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
There is a formula that you take the original gravity reading and the final gravity reading (OG-FG) x 131.25 and it gives you the alcohol by volume. I just do not know chemistry wise what would be the approximate difference in the OG reading given the fact that the temp was 177 F when it should have been taken at 70 F.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
There is a formula that you take the original gravity reading and the final gravity reading (OG-FG) x 131.25 and it gives you the alcohol by volume. I just do not know chemistry wise what would be the approximate difference in the OG reading given the fact that the temp was 177 F when it should have been taken at 70 F.

I hear yeah, and I'm assuming that formula is calibrated for readings taken at 70 F. If anything, brewing is a delicate process, and anything done out of the ordinary will skew the results.
trin Author
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
No, there is some play in how cool the final gravity reading is. Some recipes say 65 and some say 90. But I read somewhere that the higher temps will make it read lower than it really should. I figured I would give it a shot on here. Break the monotony of physiology stuff. Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1029 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4