a
t
i
r
Manis Manis
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
Hi, I was wondering how I would go about to answering this question, "What are possible applications of CRISPR both presently and into the future?? Lets say its around 3-6 marks.

Should I talk about the general applications of CRISPR, .i.e "Present applications of CRISPR include being able to fix mutations, cure genetic diseases, study particular sequences of DNA, etc"

or should I go into more detail like, .i.e " Possible applications of CRISPR presently include gene knockout or replacement, specific base changes, transcription regulation, gene silencing, etc. Nuclease-active Cas9 creates a double-strand break at the targeted locus.. These breaks can be repaired by homologous recombination (HR), which can be used to introduce new mutations . When the double-strand break is repaired by the error-prone nonhomologous end joining (NHEJ) process, indels are introduced which can produce frame shifts and stop codons, leading to functional knockout of the gene. This gives scientists the ability to manipulate genes and edit live cells to switch genes on and off, or target and study particular DNA sequences. They are able to fix mutations and cure genetic diseases." and do this for the other applications listed there.

My problem is that for the first one, I feel like its just too little information and for the second one its too much information. How would I formulate my response so that I go into detail, not but too detailed?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you  Slight Smile

Read 122 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
4 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 160 words.

Related Topics

Manis Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Hi Manis Depends on the level you're studying this stuff. If you're in a university biology class and you've discussed how transcription works, genetic modification at the molecular level, etc., then the second one is the way to do. Otherwise, it'll sound like a newspaper article that's watered down to the public.
When the double-strand break is repaired by the error-prone nonhomologous end joining (NHEJ) process, indels are introduced which can produce frame shifts and stop codons, leading to functional knockout of the gene.
This sounds too technical to me, even to me, you could water stuff like this down to: When the DNA is repaired... You're forcing me to recall terms that the reader likely forgot, turning this from a 6 sentence response to a Wikipedia article.
Umm yh, I'm in highschool. We're learning about CRISPR for our depth study so technically we are allowed to go beyond the syllabus. But I get what you mean, I'll try to remove the unnecessary information and try to use the second way. Thank you so much for your help!!! Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
You're welcome, feel free to upload your final copy for a second review
Manis Author
wrote...
4 years ago
You're welcome, feel free to upload your final copy for a second review
This is what I have so far, still kinda think its a bit excessive, but I've managed to reduce it down by quite a bit.

What are possible applications of CRISPR both presently and into the future?

Possible applications of CRISPR presently include gene knockout or replacement, specific base changes, transcription regulation, gene silencing, etc.

The Cas9 enzyme cuts the DNA at the targeted locus. These breaks are repaired by homologous recombination (HR), which introduces mutations in that gene. When the DNA is repaired with NHEJ, indels are introduced which can produce frame shifts and stop codons, leading to functional knockout of the gene. This gives scientists the ability to manipulate genes and edit live cells to switch genes on and off. This allows them to fix mutations and cure genetic diseases.

Specific base changes are also possible through the application of the CRISPR system. By deactivating the Cas9 active sites and fusing new enzymes onto the protein, Cas9 can be used to transport those enzymes to a specific DNA sequence. An example of this is to fuse deaminase enzyme to Cas9, which replaces cytosine with thymine. This allows scientists to turn a disease causing mutation into a healthy version of the gene, or even introduce a stop codon at a specific place.

More applications include transcriptional regulation and gene silencing. Transcriptional regulation works by fusing transcriptional activators to the Cas9 enzyme, which recruits the cell's transcription machinery, increasing transcription of that gene. Similar to this, scientists fuse KRAB domains to the Cas9 enzyme that recruits factors which block the gene. This is used to demote transcription of that particular gene.

Future applications of the CRISPR-cas9 include being able to cure many genetic diseases, such as colour blindness, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, Huntington's disease and many more. Another major application of CRISPR in the future could be the creation of genetically modified babies, through gene editing on human embryos. Scientists could also fix the single biggest mortality risk factor: ageing by removing or modifying certain genes that directly affect ageing, we could slow down or stop or maybe even reverse it.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Here's my quick revision:

Possible applications of CRISPR presently include gene knockout or replacement, specific base changes, transcription regulation, gene silencing, etc.

The Cas9 enzyme cuts the DNA at a specific location. Once these breaks are repaired by homologous recombination (HR), which introduces mutations in that gene. This doesn't make much sense, bad sentence. When the DNA is repaired with NHEJ, indels (better word for this?) are introduced which can produce frame shifts and stop codons, leading to functional knockout of the gene. This gives scientists the ability to manipulate genes and edit live cells to switch genes on and off. This allows them to fix mutations and cure genetic diseases.

Specific base changes are also possible through the application of the CRISPR system. By deactivating the Cas9 active sites and fusing new enzymes onto the protein, Cas9 can be used to transport those enzymes to a specific DNA sequence. An example of this is to fuse deaminase enzyme to Cas9, which replaces cytosine with thymine. This allows scientists to turn a disease causing mutation into a healthy version of the gene, or even introduce a stop codon at a specific place. -- GOOD

More applications include transcriptional regulation and gene silencing. Transcriptional regulation works by fusing transcription-based proteins to the Cas9 enzyme, which recruits the cell's transcription machinery, increasing transcription of that gene. Similar to this, scientists fuse KRAB domains (too specific) to the Cas9 enzyme that recruits factors which block the gene. This is used to demote transcription of that particular gene.

Future applications of the CRISPR-cas9 include being able to cure many genetic diseases, such as colour blindness, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, Huntington's disease and many more. Another major application of CRISPR in the future could be the creation of genetically modified babies, through gene editing on human embryos. Scientists could also fix the single biggest mortality risk factor: ageing by removing or modifying certain genes that directly affect ageing, we could slow down or stop or maybe even reverse it. -- GOOD
Source  Don't forget to review us using the link below!
Manis Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Here's my quick revision:
Possible applications of CRISPR presently include gene knockout or replacement, specific base changes, transcription regulation, gene silencing, etc. The Cas9 enzyme cuts the DNA at a specific location. Once these breaks are repaired by homologous recombination (HR), which introduces mutations in that gene. This doesn't make much sense, bad sentence. When the DNA is repaired with NHEJ, indels (better word for this?) are introduced which can produce frame shifts and stop codons, leading to functional knockout of the gene. This gives scientists the ability to manipulate genes and edit live cells to switch genes on and off. This allows them to fix mutations and cure genetic diseases. Specific base changes are also possible through the application of the CRISPR system. By deactivating the Cas9 active sites and fusing new enzymes onto the protein, Cas9 can be used to transport those enzymes to a specific DNA sequence. An example of this is to fuse deaminase enzyme to Cas9, which replaces cytosine with thymine. This allows scientists to turn a disease causing mutation into a healthy version of the gene, or even introduce a stop codon at a specific place. -- GOOD More applications include transcriptional regulation and gene silencing. Transcriptional regulation works by fusing transcription-based proteins to the Cas9 enzyme, which recruits the cell's transcription machinery, increasing transcription of that gene. Similar to this, scientists fuse KRAB domains (too specific) to the Cas9 enzyme that recruits factors which block the gene. This is used to demote transcription of that particular gene. Future applications of the CRISPR-cas9 include being able to cure many genetic diseases, such as colour blindness, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, Huntington's disease and many more. Another major application of CRISPR in the future could be the creation of genetically modified babies, through gene editing on human embryos. Scientists could also fix the single biggest mortality risk factor: ageing by removing or modifying certain genes that directly affect ageing, we could slow down or stop or maybe even reverse it. -- GOOD
Ahhhh ok, thank you so much for your help!!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1239 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352