a
t
i
r
ewashington1288 ewashington1288
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Take each of Max Weber’s eight characteristics of the bureaucratic model and apply them to a police organization in your geographic area. How many of them are applicable? (Hint, check your local agency's website for additional assistance).
Discuss the basic causes of tension between line and staff personnel and suggest several possible strategies you would implement as an administrator or as staff to reduce tension. Make sure that you consider all viewpoints.
Read 51 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
•   Take each of Max Weber’s seven characteristics of the bureaucratic model and apply them to a police organization in your geographic area. How many of them are applicable? (Hint, check your local agency's website for additional assistance).

I live in the city of Green Cove Springs which is a small suburb of Jacksonville FL, so I chose the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. In the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, 1. they do follow a principle of hierarchy where each lower office is under the control and supervision of a higher one. The top of the chart is the sheriff followed by the undersheriff but right before the undersheriff there is the state’s attorney as well as the public affairs executive. Then you have the compliance section then it’s broken down to each department with their own director and continues to go all the way down to the lowest division on the organization chart.2. Within the department there is a right to appeal Though the Department of Personnel & Professional standards. 3. Within the department there are several different units such as homeland security division, homicide division, department of corrections, and crime scene unit the different departments and units continue to expand to fit the need of the area. 4. The duties within the department are ran under the unit’s law enforcement policy and procedures and the departments core values. 5. The department uses the information systems management to record all admin acts, decisions and rules for the department. 6. In the department the authority is associated with the person’s position of the office or the job it has nothing to do with the person, because the person holding any position can be replaced if need be. 7. Employees within the department are hired based on their qualifications and training needed to perform the job. 8. The department is not owned by organizational members. Out of all of Max Weber’s seven characteristics of the bureaucratic model all seven of them applies to the Jacksonville’s Sheriff’s Office.

•   Discuss the basic causes of tension between line and staff personnel and suggest several possible strategies you would implement as an administrator or as staff to reduce tension. Make sure that you consider all viewpoints.

Some of the things that causes tension between line and staff personnel are from the line point of view are that staff personnel attempt to assume authority over line elements instead of supporting and advising them, also line commanders feel that the chief looks for accountability of the operation: therefore, staff personnel should not try and control their operation because they’re ultimately responsible for it. They also feel like staff personnel fails to give sound advice. From the staff point of view they feel like the line commanders do not know how to use staff, instead of using their analytic skills, staff personnel feel like the line commanders simply want them as researchers and writers. They also feel that the line officers are shortsighted and resist new ideas. If I was an administrator the first thing I would do and sit down with both sides and open a line of communication between both sides. I think the biggest thing is both sides knowing their roles and sticking to their assigned tasks.

** Rewrite in your own words
Source  http://www.jaxsheriff.org/departments/sheriffs-office/docs/about-the-jso/organization-charts/jacksonville-sheriff-s-office-organization-chart-1.aspx

http://www.coj.net/departments/sheriffs-office/directory.aspx
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328