K
g
L
w
addisonnn addisonnn
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago
This is one of my paragraphs of the novel, The Great Gatsby, which talks about Gatsby's dream ending, and I wanted to know if it was good.
Although Gatsby is seen as a thief and is portrayed as a self-ideal man with whom he came from deprivation, it is through him that we see a harsh reality of his dream, emerging from its rise and its end. At the end of the novel, where Gatsby was shot and dead, none of the people that he knew showed sympathy for him, one of them being Daisy, who even chooses Tom over him, even though Gatsby had sacrificed the majority of his life for her. Later then, Nick states “At first I… else was interested” (Fitzgerald 175), in which as a result of Gatsby’s death, his generosity for those who attended his weekly parties, illustrates the resentment and irresponsible mentality of the Americans.
Read 160 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Although Gatsby is seen as a thief and is portrayed as a man in self-ideal man, it is through him that we see a harsh reality of his dream, emerging from its rise to its end. At the end of the novel, after Gatsby was murdered, none of the people that he knew showed any sympathy, including Daisy - who chooses her cheating husband over him - even though Gatsby sacrificed his all. When Nick states, “at first I… else was interested” (Fitzgerald 175), it illustrates the resentment and irresponsible mentality of the Americans.

Could you provide the quote so I get a better understanding of that last part?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
sure, "At first I was surprised and confused; then,
as he lay in his house and didn’t move or breathe or speak
hour upon hour it grew upon me that I was responsible, because no one else was interested—"
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
I don't see how that quote relates to what you're suggesting it means Slightly Frowning Face there's also too little there for me to analyze it further
- Bachelor of Science
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Have you read the story? and also it's supposed to be a short essay so that's why there isn't much info in the paragraph.
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy–they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money of their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together and let other people clean up the mess they had made.” does this quote sound better with my paragraph?
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I actually fixed my paragraph and changed it this,
Although Gatsby is seen as a thief and is portrayed as a self-ideal man with whom he came from deprivation, it is through him that we see a harsh reality of his dream, emerging from its rise and its end. At the end of the novel, where Gatsby was shot and dead, none of the people that he knew showed sympathy for him, one of them being Daisy, who even chooses Tom over him, even though Gatsby had sacrificed majority of his life for her. Later then, Nick states, “They were careless… they had made” (Fitzgerald 175), reveals that both Daisy and Tom, lack compassion for others, when they appear to be a selfish group of thoughtless people. This is seen to be true after Gatsby's death, in which Gatsby struggles to understand a person's ideals and morality, and which the author, Fitzgerald, suggested that concentrating on more essential things such as relationships, will offer true happiness, rather than striving for materialistic things.
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
it illustrates the resentment and irresponsible mentality of the Americans.

... it illustrates the reckless and irresponsible mentality of the upper social class of that time.

You could use that instead... Yes.

Have you read the story? and also it's supposed to be a short essay so that's why there isn't much info in the paragraph.

Yes, I'm familiar with the story and the movie.
- Bachelor of Science
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
oh okay, I also changed my paragraph and quote, what do you think about it?
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Why didn't you used my editted version shown below? I noticed you kept using your version instead

Although Gatsby is seen as a thief and is portrayed as a man in self-denial, it is through him that we see a harsh reality of his dream, emerging from its rise to its end. At the end of the novel, after Gatsby was murdered, none of the people that he knew showed any sympathy, including Daisy - who chooses her cheating husband over him - even though Gatsby sacrificed his all. When Nick states, “at first I… else was interested” (Fitzgerald 175), it illustrates the resentment and irresponsible mentality of the Americans.
- Bachelor of Science
addisonnn Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Oh, I thought the quote I used didn't work well with my paragraph so I changed it, but I now just saw your edited version, thank you for that.
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Definitely, it added some fancy touches to it
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1082 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 146

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?