a
t
i
r
marinejas marinejas
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, marinejas
Hi! sorry for coming back to this section again, but I have another question similar to this, so the question is "For each of the following values of cos θ, determine the radian value of θ if pi ≤ θ ≤ 2pi". I got a) right, but not b)  for b) the question is -√2/2 and this is what I did.
cos = -√2/2
cosine is negative in quads 2 and 3, angle used 3pi/4
2nd quad
pi - 3pi/4 = 1/4pi
3rd quad 3pi/4 - pi = -1/4pi
But the answer was 5pi/4.
I even tried doing it in a diff way I did angle pi/4
2nd quad
pi - pi/4
= 3/4pi
3rd quad
pi/4 - pi
= -3/4 pi
Read 392 times
11 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi marinejas, make sure you start a new topic every time a new question arises. Let me separate this one for you
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
OK, so look at the range. They want answers between PI and 2PI, suggesting quadrants 3 and 4. They're not interested in quadrant 2.
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
but cosine is negative in quads 2 and 3? I'm using the unit circle as a reference and the x is cosine and y is sin so wouldn't that mean the overall angle that gives the ratio... of √2/2 is 3pi/4?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Look at the restriction: pi ≤ θ ≤ 2pi, what does this tell you? They're ONLY interested in stuff that happens in quadrants 3 and 4. As you mentioned, cosine is negative in quadrant 3. So ONLY report the answer that is found in quadrant 3.

Let me know if you want me to show you
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
including the 1st quad? bc I used the 1st and 4th quad for a) and I got the answer.
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free