a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
2 years ago
Referring to following link, I would like to know any articles talking about on how sleep pattern affect physical and mental health and internal as well

Sleep pattern:
12 am - 4 am (sleep and wake up naturally)
4 am - 7 am (do some works)
7 am - 10 am (sleep and wake up naturally)

sleep is not continuing for 7 hours, but it breaks into 2 different sections.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

"Adults who sleep less than 7 hours each night are more likely to say they have had health problems, including heart attack, asthma, and depression.3 Some of these health problems raise the risk for heart disease, heart attack, and stroke."

https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/sleep.htm
Read 336 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, bio_man
I think you've conditioned yourself to sleep in segments like that. What you should try doing is when you wake up at 4 AM, stay in bed until you fall back asleep. What you're describing isn't completely abnormal, so you're less likely to find studies that support the quote you provided from the CDC for what's been happening to you. Usually those with insomnia issues experience a lower quality of life, and rightfully so given that sleep helps to reset our physiology.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
2 years ago
"Leonardo died at Clos Lucé on 2 May 1519 at the age of 67, possibly of a stroke"

I would like to know on how Uberman sleep cycle affects his health, how to cause stroke?

"Da Vinci followed an extreme form of a polyphasic sleep schedule called the Uberman sleep cycle, which consists of 20-minute naps every four hours."

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, bio_man
It's hard to discuss this topic without knowing for certain if Di Vinci actually died of a stroke (remember, strokes would be hard to diagnose at that time given their understanding of the human body). Assuming he did, I don't see how that particular sleeping pattern would have lead to a stroke in any way, unless he experienced some sort of disturbance, like sleep apnea, which leads to low oxygen levels being delivered to vital organs. Now, according to the study referenced below:

REM sleep—occupying about 20% of total sleep—is dominated by marked fluctuations in sympathovagal balance (irregularly peaking sympathetic surges against a background of tonic vagal inhibition), which lead to abrupt changes in blood pressure and heart rate.

Hence, if you have a condition like sleep apnea,  this type of sleep may be disrupted. Poor health could cause a stroke while sleeping if you have high blood pressure or poor dieting.

A compromised cardiovascular system is at risk for pathological events such as myocardial ischemia or arrhythmias during REM sleep

Please read this part on sleep fragmentation:

Any causes of sleep curtailment, including sleep restriction, insomnia, and shift work, are likely to impair cardiovascular restoration through a reduction in cardioprotective stable NREM sleep. Sleep fragmentation, conventionally defined by cortical EEG arousals, is a universal feature of almost all sleep disorders, including sleep apnea, insomnia, periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS) and narcolepsy, and is associated with overshoots in sympathetic activity [25,26]. Even if REM sleep is preserved, the greater the sleep fragmentation, the farther the sympathovagal modulation is tilted toward sympathetic dominance [27]. Blood pressure regulation during the biological night (the usual sleep time) is uniquely related to cardiovascular risk, including the risk of stroke [28-30]. Non-dipping—loss of the typical blood pressure drop during sleep—is associated with a host of poor cardiac, neurological, metabolic, and renal outcomes [31-36]. Sleep fragmentation causes non-dipping [37-40]. Non-dipping is common in older adults and is associated with an increased risk of stroke [41-43]. Reduced dipping is associated with brain atrophy, worse functional status, and lower daytime cerebral blood flow [44,45].

Source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5836576/
oemBiology Author
wrote...
2 years ago
What you should try doing is when you wake up at 4 AM, stay in bed until you fall back asleep.

I think that would be the best advise for my case.
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Wish you the best, oemBiology. Update us when you can Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
2 years ago
When I monitor my body, I feel that my nose seems blocking (50%), so my breathing is not efficient as normal, maybe muscle inside my nose is expanding and reduce air flow. 

Do you have any suggestions on what is causing this issue?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
When I monitor my body, I feel that my nose seems blocking (50%), so my breathing is not efficient as normal, maybe muscle inside my nose is expanding and reduce air flow.

Usually the obstruction is due to the bone (called a deviated septum) or the issue is due to the soft palate overextending, thereby blocking the airways (leading to sleep apnea, see arrow below). You will need to have a doctor examine these two areas to identify if lack of oxygen is an issue for you.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1267 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249