t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
2 years ago
Are bone spurs made of the same material as normal bone or can a treatment be devised to dissolve them without affecting the useful bone that doesn't put pressure on the nervous system?

Is spinal stenosis caused by epigenetic noise? Perhaps will be a subject of yamanaka factors to reverse the spin to a better, earlier shape?
Read 1256 times
20 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
2 years ago
The spurs are the same thing as bone, and they form when bones rub together - for example, if you have osteoarthritis, the cartilage cushion in the joints breaks down, causing the bones to rub together forming this sort of distorted bone growths. I'm not sure spinal stenosis is another form of arthritis, but if it is, the same reason would apply to that as well.

Hope that helps!
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/08/Researchers-find-method-to-regrow-cartilage-in-the-joints.html

Might this be applicable to neck bones someday? Or do they only microdamage bones in limbs to create the growth affect?
wrote...
Staff Member
2 years ago
Neckbones are an interesting case since they're conditioned to hold up the head (whose weight remains relatively consistent throughout one's lifetime). When the joints in the neck start to weaken, the bones can rub against each other, often times pinch the sensitive nerves found in that area, known as cervical myelopathy.

Schematic sagittal image of the degenerative changes in the cervical spine. As a result of vertebral disk protrusion (blue), spondylophytes (dark blue) and hypertrophy or folding of the ligamentum flavum (yellow), the spinal canal is restricted, the available space for CSF is reduced (pale blue) and the spinal cord is compressed (green). Slippage in the spine (olisthesis) or instability can also damage to the spinal cord.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696878/
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Neckbones are an interesting case since they're conditioned to hold up the head (whose weight remains relatively consistent throughout one's lifetime). When the joints in the neck start to weaken, the bones can rub against each other, often times pinch the sensitive nerves found in that area, known as cervical myelopathy. Schematic sagittal image of the degenerative changes in the cervical spine. As a result of vertebral disk protrusion (blue), spondylophytes (dark blue) and hypertrophy or folding of the ligamentum flavum (yellow), the spinal canal is restricted, the available space for CSF is reduced (pale blue) and the spinal cord is compressed (green). Slippage in the spine (olisthesis) or instability can also damage to the spinal cord. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696878/

Ok, but couldn't that procedure work in the neck as it might elsewhere? I have a bone spur due to head injury so it has less to do with the regular weight of my head. If cartilage could be regenerated after a bone spur is surgically removed there would be no reason to remove vertebrae or fuse anything together Frankenstein style.
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
I don't think cartilage can regrow once it has been damaged. In other words, it's potential for regrowth is very narrow in humans. Doctors remove cervical bones in the next to remove pressure on the spinal cord caused by the bone spurs -- people with these problems experience unbearable pain due to this. The spurs cause abnormal motion between vertebrae leading to this pain.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
I don't think cartilage can regrow once it has been damaged. In other words, it's potential for regrowth is very narrow in humans. Doctors remove cervical bones in the next to remove pressure on the spinal cord caused by the bone spurs -- people with these problems experience unbearable pain due to this. The spurs cause abnormal motion between vertebrae leading to this pain.

You must not of seen the link I posted.
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, bio_man
Microfractures activate the stem cells responsible for the production of fibroblasts, which isn't the same as cartilage.

“Microfracture results in what is called fibrocartilage, which is really more like scar tissue than natural cartilage,” said Chan. “It covers the bone and is better than nothing, but it doesn’t have the bounce and elasticity of natural cartilage, and it tends to degrade relatively quickly.” 

The researchers used a powerful molecule called bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP2) to initiate bone formation after microfracture, but then stopped the process midway with a molecule that blocked another signaling molecule important in bone formation, called vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF).

“What we ended up with was cartilage that is made of the same sort of cells as natural cartilage with comparable mechanical properties, unlike the fibrocartilage that we usually get,” Chan said. “It also restored mobility to osteoarthritic mice and significantly reduced their pain.”

As a proof of principle that this might also work in humans, the researchers transferred human tissue into mice that were bred to not reject the tissue, and were able to show that human skeletal stem cells could be steered toward bone development but stopped at the cartilage stage.

Note: This has never been tested on humans.

The next stage of research is to conduct similar experiments in larger animals before starting human clinical trials. Murphy points out that because of the difficulty in working with very small mouse joints, there might be some improvements to the system they could make as they move into relatively larger joints.

Research tends to move real slow. I wouldn't put too much hope in this becoming mainstream any time soon, unfortunately. Nonetheless, the idea is very interesting...
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
My question is damaging bone to try to produce cartilage or a substance like it done on neck bones currently or just knees and lower body joints?
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
My question is damaging bone to try to produce cartilage or a substance like it done on neck bones currently or just knees and lower body joints?

In theory, it should work for all bones, including those in the neck. But as stated in the article, it hasn't been performed on humans, so at this point, it has never been done.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
In theory, it should work for all bones, including those in the neck. But as stated in the article, it hasn't been performed on humans, so at this point, it has never been done.

Hypotheticals are all that give me hope these days since everything takes forever except of course vaccines when we need them in a hurry.
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Personally, I think the world needs Jesus more than ever.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Personally, I think the world needs Jesus more than ever.

Well we certainly could use miraculous healing. Age 25 was the first year I woke up groggy with pain in my head. Things got progressively worse since. I never feel better in the morning anymore. I don't think we were built to live healthily after 35 or so. Just to procreate age and then our design fails big time.
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, bio_man
My intention wasn't in reference to a miraculous healing. I meant that the world needs to be less fearful of things that aren't as scary as they're perceived to be. Since everyone practically lost their minds after COVID hit (minus me), we put our destiny in the hands of pharmaceutical companies that produced a rushed vaccine. As you've learned in this discussion, science cannot be rushed because rushed experiments lead to detrimental outcomes. We don't know the long-term side effects of this vaccine, in which the majority of the world's population has been inoculated with. The bible literally tells us to "have no fear" hundreds of times, yet all that was thrown out the window and replaced them with modern-day bullshit because people have turned their backs on God.

I don't agree with your premise that 35 is the cut-off age to remain healthy. Genes play a critical rule in determining your health long-term. Unfortunately, some genes place people at higher risk of suffering earlier on than others. The environment and lifestyle choices also play a major role, including diet in how certain genes behave. For example, regardless of how strong your teeth are, if you don't brush your teeth regularly, they will rot.

Stay strong and positive!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  888 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370