S
m
s
Eiffel Eiffel
wrote...
2 years ago
Hello I'm a newbie of the forum.

My question is this one.

I've heard there are three types of immune tolerance.

The first at the fetal stage

The second from birth to the involvement of the thymus.  Called central tolerance.

Then another after thymic involution, called peripheral tolerance, controlled by Treg, especially in the oral intake of antigens.

It's correct?
My question is what is the difference in the results of these types of tolerance?

Are they all stable in the same way?  Are they for the rest of your life or can they be lost in some way?
And which is the strongest and why?

Thanks in advance

Read 156 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
2 years ago
The first at the fetal stage

During fetal tolerance, the immune system learns to discriminate self from non-self. This is what prevents things like autoimmune diseases within the womb leading to miscarriage.

Then another after thymic involution, called peripheral tolerance, controlled by Treg, especially in the oral intake of antigens.

Once you're out of the womb, you're exposed to gut bacteria, skin bacteria, and other environmental antigens. Peripheral tolerance is key to preventing over-reactivity to these things, and if it doesn't develop, it too causes autoimmune diseases, resulting in things like asthma, allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.
wrote...
A year ago
Thanks
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  941 People Browsing
 102 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?