Top Posters
Since Sunday
rafale09 rafale09
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, rafale09
Does anyone know what muscles are involved in the forward thrusting of the lower jaw? I've been told that it's the masseter, but I'm not so sure about that. Secondly, could continual forward thrusting of the jaw lead to overdevelopment of the masseter (similar to what happens with bruxism)?

This is AU #29 on FACS, if it matches my definition of "jaw thrusting".

Thanks in advance.
Read 2169 times
8 Replies
Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Rafale09, did you end up getting an answer, I need help too Thinking Face
rafale09 Author
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, rafale09
Nope, still waiting on an answer. I can't find anything online or in my textbooks either. Every FACS table I've seen so far has a missing entry for AU #29, which is the muscle group I'm looking for.

My best guess for this would be the medial pterygoid and maybe the temporalis as well, but I'm not so sure.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
I will message my physiology teacher and see what he says. I would think pterygoid myself.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
12 years ago
I would like that too, thx alot!
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
You're quite welcome. He goes in on Saturday's so I should have an answer tomorrow, unless he checks his messages tonight.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
Heard back from him and he is checking with one of his dentist friends and will let me know.
Answer accepted by topic starter
trintrin
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 280 words.