s
d
a
g
j
Anonymous Ayman Rashidi
wrote...
A year ago
The long ears of European rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) not only enhance hearing, they also play a role in thermoregulation: their large surface area and extensive system of blood vessels allows them to function as heat exchange organs. When a rabbit is hot, the blood vessels swell, drawing more blood to the ears and increasing the rate at which body heat is dissipated to the environment.

Rabbits are native to Spain and France but were introduced to Australia in the 1850s where, despite the hotter climate, they have been extremely successful (and are considered invasive pests). In the 160 years since their introduction, the ears of Australian rabbits have elongated; they now average about 10% longer than the ears of rabbits in their native range.

Describe the process of evolution by natural selection using this specific example (see above). Specifically address the conditions that must be met for this to be a case of natural selection, the process, and the outcome.
Source  Biological Sciences
By: Scott Freeman
Read 98 times
2 Replies