Top Posters
Since Sunday
g
Anonymous Ayman Rashidi
wrote...
A year ago
In this question you are given TWO separate scenarios. Please read both carefully.

Scenario 1:
In northern Alberta there is a population of approximately 1000 caribou in the Birch Bark Provincial Park*. Fifty (50) of the caribou from Birch Bark Provincial Park permanently move from this provincial park into a new territory (Jumping Mouse Provincial Park) that has no caribou, but does have a population of mice. Caribou do not eat mice; mice do not eat caribou. These organisms (mice and caribou) do not compete for food. (4 points)

Scenario 2:
In British Columbia, there is another population of approximately 1000 caribou in Moonshine Hills Provincial Park. Three hundred (300) of the Moonshine Hills Provincial Park caribou move into Willow Springs, which is already home to a small population (approximately 300) of the same species of caribou. The Moonshine Hills caribou join the Willow Springs herd and interbreed with them. (4 points)

For each of the scenarios above:

i.  Identify the evolutionary process occurring. Be as specific as possible. Aim for 2 sentences at the most!

ii.  Explain what happens to the genetic variation in both the original population (i.e., Birch Bark or Moonshine Hills Provincial Park populations) and the new population new population (i.e., in Jumping Mouse Provincial Park or Willow Springs) in each scenario as a consequence of this move and why
each scenario as a consequence of this move and why. Aim for 4 sentences (one sentence per population).

*These are not real parks. They are purely figments of our imagination, but you should treat them as if they were real.
Source  Biological Science
By: Scott Freeman
Read 124 times
2 Replies
Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
i)

Scenario 1 - Permanent migration - No niche overlap - No new species evolved.
Scenario 2 - Migration and interbreeding - New species may evolve as a result.

ii)

Genetic variation may not be changed in Scenario ! as there is no interaction between the two species post migration. Interbreeding between the two species in scenario 2 will cause genetic drift and variation in the two species.
Answer accepted by topic starter
habibahabiba
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
A year ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!