wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Hello

Could you type the entire question?
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
Sure, for the question below can you answer it and also provide the rationale as to how you got the answer?

Calculate the output. A patient consumes 4 oz of orange juice and 4 oz of milk for breakfast, 12 oz of coffee for lunch, and 3 oz mL of an ice pop and 4 oz mL of ice cream for dinner.

The patient voided three times during the shift for 200 mL, 360 mL, and 600 mL. Calculate the intake for the 6 AM to 6 PM shift.

Thank you.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Calculate the output. A patient consumes 4 oz of orange juice and 4 oz of milk for breakfast, 12 oz of coffee for lunch, and 3 oz mL of an ice pop and 4 oz mL of ice cream for dinner.

The patient voided three times during the shift for 200 mL, 360 mL, and 600 mL. Calculate the intake for the 6 AM to 6 PM shift.

So I think what you do is convert all those ounce values into mL. That will serve as your intake.

Orange juice
4 oz -> 118.294 mL
Milk
4 oz -> 118.294 mL
Coffee
12 oz -> 354.882
Ice Cream
4 oz -> 118.294 mL

This rounds to 710 mL intake.

The output would be 200 mL + 360 mL + 600 mL = 1160 mL
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
you do not add the ice cream?
Post Merge: A year ago

I'm sorry. I meant the ice pop
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Yes, I thought I did originally, apologies... That is, it should be added to the intake, but the question isn't seeking that. It is only seeking the output. You can therefore ignore that calculation.
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
If you look at the last section of the question they are asking for the input as well.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
If you look at the last section of the question they are asking for the input as well.

In that case,

Orange juice
4 oz -> 118.294 mL
Milk
4 oz -> 118.294 mL
Coffee
12 oz -> 354.882
Ice Pop
3 oz -> 88.7206 mL
Ice Cream
4 oz -> 118.294 mL

Adding this all up gives 798 mL.

The only thing that threw me off guard was the wording:

...and 3 oz mL of an ice pop and 4 oz mL of ice cream for dinner.

I've never heard of oz ml before.
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
okay, I got 798 as well. I think the issue is with the question. However, isn't 1 oz=30ml? should I use 1 oz=29.5 instead? I want to prepare for a med dos exam? Are there med math questions on this site or any where that you would recommend?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I don't think 1 oz = 30 ml is close enough. I would say 1 oz = 29.574 mL, or use the conversion factor given on the exam instead.

I don't know anything about the med dos exam. I'm just a regular tutor here, specializing in anything mathematics and biology Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
No conversion factor given. But is the 29.574 ml more accurate? Seems hard to remember.
Post Merge: A year ago

8. Question
A nitroglycerin (Tridil) drip is infusing at 15 mL/hr on an infusion pump. The drug is mixed 50 mg in 500 mL D5W. How many mcg/minute is the patient receiving? Fill in the blank and round to the nearest whole number for your final answer.

Could you assist?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
No conversion factor given. But is the 29.574 ml more accurate? Seems hard to remember.

30 mL is certainly easier to remember, but I find it inaccurate. Try the calculation gain using 1 oz to 30 mL and see how different it is.

A nitroglycerin (Tridil) drip is infusing at 15 mL/hr on an infusion pump. The drug is mixed 50 mg in 500 mL D5W. How many mcg/minute is the patient receiving? Fill in the blank and round to the nearest whole number for your final answer.

Does that help?
Elizabeth B. Author
wrote...
A year ago
perfect! yes, I do.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Great! I've marked the topic solved. Any new questions, feel free to start a new thread Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1020 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293