t
S
m
s
Rellias Minn Rellias Minn
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A year ago
A parabola has an altitude of 4 units. Express the length of its base as a function
of its area. Graph the function.
Read 173 times
8 Replies
Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
See if this helps...

If not, reply back Slight Smile
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Rellias M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
See if this helps...

If not, reply back Slight Smile

Thanks for the answer! It kind of seems alright but I don't really understand how the answer was obtained and the process shown as the different constants and values are unfamiliar to me. Is it alright if I ask for more information or an explanation regarding about this answer. Thank you!
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Top Poster
A year ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 310 words.

Related Topics

Rellias M. Author
wrote...
A year ago

Thank you so much for the explanation! I manage to understand on how to acquire this answer.
But I have one last question...

Is there any sort of value to the P value or we can substitute it into any number that we want like P = 1 or P = -1? Also, can I use the \(y=\frac{x^2}{4p}+4\) equation when finding the y for the graphing of this function or should I just use the general equation for the graphing?

Thank you so much again for the answer!
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
From what I know, \(p\) presents distance from vertex to focus. The focus can only be found if we know one other point other than the vertex, so it will have to stay the way it is.
Rellias M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
From what I know, \(p\) presents distance from vertex to focus. The focus can only be found if we know one other point other than the vertex, so it will have to stay the way it is.

Oh ok, I kind of get it now. But, what would be the value of P so that the function would be graphed?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
The function can't be graphed unless we know one other point. Hence we can only write the equation generally with p in place. Another way to find p is if you were told the focal width, but again, you haven't been told anything about it.
Rellias M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ok I understand it now. Thank you so much for all of your help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  913 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274