n
C
z
k
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
9 months ago
My understanding is rod cells are sensitive enough to register a single photon which I assume is just about the best you can do. But cone cells are maybe 1/200th as sensitive. Why is that? Any hypothetical way to create cone cells that are super sensitive too so we don't need rod cells at all?
Read 298 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
Hi CarbonRobot

I think this article answers the question quite effectively:

The key step in the formation of the duplex retina (meaning one consisting of both rods and cones) of vertebrates was the evolution of more sensitive rods to accompany cones, so that the entire range of light intensities could be encoded by the photoreceptors. Molecular and biochemical studies tell us that rods and cones have many of the same transduction proteins but use different isoforms probably arising by gene duplication; in some cases they use the same isoform but at a different level of expression. No one change accounts for the difference in absolute sensitivity between rods and cones. Instead, each of the differences we have described seems to have produced a small increase in the rate of activation or prolongation of response decay, conferring an incremental advantage to the organism.

Accumulated changes in a large number of proteins eventually produced a sensitivity great enough in the rod to allow it to operate in dim light, with cones remaining for enhanced temporal resolution when photon flux is no longer limiting. These changes also have implications for the dynamic properties of rods and cones, namely their ability to adapt to increasing light intensity. The properties of the two receptor types form the basis of our duplex visual system, whose fundamental nature was first proposed by Schultze 150 years ago.

Molecular and biochemical studies tell us that rods and cones have many of the same transduction proteins but use different isoforms probably arising by gene duplication

This statement gives us a reason to believe that it is possible for cons to be genetically manipulated to behave like rod cells, but a duplex retina is definitely required to see in the depth we can as human beings. The article mentions that cells resembling cones are very old, first appearing among cnidarians, which implies that cons likely evolved first, leading later to the evolution of rod cells; in fact, the emergence of rods was a key step in the evolution of the vertebrate eye. Also, rods and cones have a different anatomy, with only rods containing membranous discs enclosed by the plasma membrane. This further leads me to believe that what you're asking is more complicated than it sounds...
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
9 months ago
What depth does a duplex retina give us? What makes a retina duplex? I just figure cones give us fine detail and color. They only lack maximum sensitivity for night vision. However our rods are largely in our periphery and we can't see as well directly in front of us in the dark. Why can't the retina be simplified with one photoreceptor type?
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago Edited: 9 months ago, bio_man
Well for one, a duplex retina allows a species to see in color and in dim light. I think by definition that is what a duplex retina is, that is, it is composed of rods and cones. Each of these categories of cells is biologically designed for its purpose. You can't have one cell type doing everything; I don't think there are many cases of that in nature, unless you're an amoeba.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
9 months ago
Well for one, a duplex retina allows a species to see in color and in dim light. I think by definition that is what a duplex retina is, that is, it is composed of rods and cones. Each of these categories of cells is biologically designed for its purpose. You can't have one cell type doing everything; I don't think there are many cases of that in nature, unless you're an amoeba.

Not biologically possible for one type to have all capabilities? Our rods don't help with central vision low light?
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
They don't. They are necessary for detecting motion and providing black-and-white vision in low-light conditions, i.e. dim light. In situations like these, the cone cells are less active because they're basically not capable of it. The rod cells, however, do perceive the objects, but with reduced clarity and detail. This is why we need both kinds of cells to see the way we do
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
9 months ago
They don't. They are necessary for detecting motion and providing black-and-white vision in low-light conditions, i.e. dim light. In situations like these, the cone cells are less active because they're basically not capable of it. The rod cells, however, do perceive the objects, but with reduced clarity and detail. This is why we need both kinds of cells to see the way we do

But if cones were modified is what I'm saying. Color, fine detail, and light sensitivity, and even a slightly larger wavelength sensitivity. It would be nice to see colors in low light.
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
The form of every organ, cell type, etc., that exists is intricately linked to its function and efficiency in carrying out specific tasks necessary for survival, growth, reproduction, and adaptation. At some point in our evolution, splitting this function of being able to detect color and dim light by two different cell types - instead of one all-encompassing kind - clearly was biologically advantageous to our survival. Going back to your original question, are rods and cones similar enough such where it takes only a few genetic modification to produce a new form that is more capable of letting us see better is beyond me; there's no research which I found that would indicates that.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1024 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372