C
z
k
d
fan198 fan198
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 months ago
Dr. Mishima found a new plant species, which is referred to as plant X and harvested the seeds. She planted seeds of plant X in a large flower bed in her institute every day during Days 1 to 5 of the experiment. It shows seedlings on Day 15. Later, purple, needle-like leaves emerged from the tips of the stems in most plants around the same day (Days 19-20). Dr. Mishima decided to study this phenomenon of simultaneous emergence of the needle-like leaves in plant X.

Propose at least two broad categories of possible explanations/mechanisms for the
simultaneous emergence of the purple, needle-like leaves in plant X. You should be able
to test your possibilities without employing molecular biology or biochemistry methods.
Please note that your answer should focus on the timing of emergence rather than the
structure of the leaves.

I dont know what to think of this question, it is too abstract for me

Read 157 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 months ago
I think that the plants are releasing hormonal signals, causing neighboring plants to produce needles simultaneously. Some desert plants may flower en masse after a specific period of time or in response to environmental triggers like rainfall or seasonal changes. Thus, this synchronization we're seeing is probably driven by intrinsic genetic and environmental factors.
wrote...
10 months ago
Environmental cues: The emergence of the purple, needle-like leaves could be triggered by specific environmental conditions, such as changes in light intensity, temperature, or humidity.
These cues might coincide with the time frame observed by Dr Mishima . To test this possibility, the experiment could be replicated with controlled variations in environmental factors to observe if similar leaf emergence occurs.

Hormonal regulation: Plant growth and development are often regulated by various hormones.
A specific hormonal signal or interaction between different hormones may trigger the emergence of the needle-like leaves in plant X.

Testing this hypothesis could involve treating the plants with hormone inhibitors or precursors at different stages to observe their effect on leaf emergence.

Synchronization through communication: It is conceivable that the plants communicate with each other through chemical signals or other means, coordinating their growth and development. The emergence of the needle-like leaves could be a synchronized response to an external stimulus or a signal released by plant X itself. This hypothesis could be tested by isolating plant X from other plants or by conducting experiments with physical barriers between individual plants to observe if leaf emergence still occurs.

Nutrient availability: The emergence of the needle-like leaves could be related to nutrient availability or imbalances. Certain nutrients or their absence may trigger the plant's response to produce these specialized leaves. To investigate this possibility, nutrient manipulation experiments could be conducted by providing different nutrient compositions or restricting specific nutrients to determine their impact on leaf emergence.
wrote...
Educator
10 months ago
fan198, did any of these replies help?

For whatever it's worth, I was thinking in line with @smi3 response. I initially thought pheromones, but quickly realized that's a phenomenon known in the animal kingdom, and not in plants.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  839 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431