t
i
r
lewis lewis
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Hi everyone,

If anyone here is aspiring to become a medical doctor following their undergraduate degree, here's one school you should not enrol into - even if they offer you a free education Slight Smile

Here's one reason why Slight Smile

US Congress told Ross University may be shortchanging taxpayers and students

Evidence presented to Congress suggests Ross Medical School on Dominica may be shortchanging U.S. taxpayers and students, officials allege.

Ross accepts U.S. students who may have difficulty qualifying for medical schools in the United States. The U.S. students qualify for federally backed student loans, which last year amounted to more than $150 million, the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times reported Saturday.

Fewer than one-third of Ross's students finish in four years, compared with nearly 100 percent at U.S. medical schools, and about 20 percent of the students fail to find a residency placement in the United States, which is key to obtaining a license to practice, regulators who accredit offshore medical schools recently told Congress.

Ross was opened in 1978 in the Northern town of Portsmouth in Dominica, and since then over six thousand students have graduated from the institution.

Ross Univesity is located in Portsmouth, Dominica.

A Ross spokeswoman defended the school as a high-quality institution, comparable to U.S. medical schools.

"At a time when our country is in desperate need of quality physicians, they will help fulfill the unmet need and make important contributions to society," Rebekah Herbison said.

According to the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times:

• At Ross, fewer than one-third of the students finish in four years, compared to nearly 100 percent at U.S. medical schools.

• Since Ross, like other Caribbean medical schools, doesn't have a teaching hospital, it pays hospitals stateside for students' clinical training, with wide variations in quality.

• Students of foreign medical schools like Ross graduate with higher average debt, $235,000 compared to the average $158,000 owed by graduates of U.S. medical schools, according to an August report to Congress by regulators.

• About 20 percent of Ross graduates fail to land a residency, the key to a license to practice in the United States. If they cannot pay their student debts, taxpayers are left holding the bag.

Robert Ross, a commodities trader in New York, started the medical school in 1978, but by 2000, he had sold majority interest in both the medical school and an affiliated veterinary school in St. Kitts to a group of New York investors. Three years later, both schools were acquired by DeVry for $310 million.

Last year, DeVry, better known for its tech training schools, reported $165.7 million in net income after taxes. But the company also reported an additional $140 million in tax-free income from the Ross operations.

In a report to Congress in August, the group that accredits offshore medical colleges recommended that the schools raise their standards and improve reporting on everything from test scores to graduation rates to total cost.

A former Ross registrar, said he agrees with the need to stiffen entrance requirements, saying: "We want doctors but we can't give that kind of money to everyone who's chasing a dream of being an M.D.," he said. "We need to be a little bit more discriminating about who those tax dollars go to."
Read 10184 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I attended Ross University School of Medicine, finishing all basic medical sciences and clinical clerkships in NY. Did very well. Passed required shelve exam, passed USMLE step 1, Passed USMLE step 2 clinical skills. Both on first attempt. However I had terrible things (pesonal) occur in my family such as my partner and mother both becoming very ill. I took care of them. I finished all medical school took step 2ck and did not pass. applied to take it again was waiting for the school to certify me to do so, they never did for months. I called ROSS and they told me I was administratively dismissed because I waited too long to reapply for the testI would have to reapply to the school which I did and was rejected. I know owe Chase over $200,000; Sallymae $80,000 finished all but no MD. I can never pay all of this back.

The story is much more complicated I need to talk longer. I want my MD. I have gone to other firms who just kept my money and didn't offer advice or do anything.
wrote...
12 years ago
I agree, I graduated from Ross in 10/2010 with very high scores and perfect attendance and still no job. I feel unless you were lucky and hired in through externship, your SOL. Now I get to pay back student loans!
wrote...
12 years ago
Ross is a business NOT a school. It is a scam based entirely on numbers and funding. Financial aid is even altered to provide them a certain level of money for the company to hold for profit. I worked here and it was nightmare!!! Unethical, unprofessional, and too many politics. Please go to a community college they offer the same programs and you will have a legitimate degree. They take advantage of life situations and use them against prospects to make them feel bad for not wanting Ross as an option. it is close to $16,000 for a certificate NOT a degree. Thats the cost of an entire program for an associates degree.
wrote...
12 years ago
An overall disappointment! Instructors are unprofessional (discussing students in the classroom and making fun of students when questions being asked).
wrote...
12 years ago
I agree, I graduated from Ross in 10/2010 with very high scores and perfect attendance and still no job. I feel unless you were lucky and hired in through externship, your SOL. Now I get to pay back student loans!

I graduated from Ross Medical in 2009 with great grades and attendance. I still have no job. In fact, in Michigan the title “MA” or “Medical Assistant” is a hoax in itself. The school screws people over for more money than we can pay back. Now my life is screwed because I owe 17,000$ for a certificate I will never use. No one hires for an MA especially if you’re from Ross. Completely tricked. This sucks I worked so hard now I am in a worse position than before I went to school there. My children starve. Thank you Ross.
wrote...
12 years ago
I just wanted to pass along this final thought to all students former or those considering to apply at Ross Medical Education Center… Please reconsider. Attend a University or Community level college course for your certification, or Associates degree in Medical Assisting if you wish. I didnt do this because I already was attending a University and chose Ross to get a job while I finished my degree within a similar field. At the time it seemed like a practical choice to keep up on my medical skills and work before I graduated. However, there is really no substitute or shortcuts for university level courses in the long run. I wrote the Michigan Educational Commission and filed a complaint against Ross and I would encourage all students to stand up and make your feelings known to them. Michigan has recieved numerous complaints on this school. It is my hope that the Michigan Commission will investigate more thoroughy and close this schools doors forever!The current CEO of Ross Medical who has been known to be boorish and unhelpful is either running what was once a good school into the ground or they just are more concerned about profit than the future of their students.

It appears from other comments made here and by other students at other college forums that Ross’s days are numbered. Take care
wrote...
12 years ago
As a recent ross grad I can tell u first hand ROSS SACKS
if u dont know ross is med school in Dominica Caribbean
If you cant get in to US medical school this year reapply next year
Many teachers are at ross for the same reason that the student are (Cant get in to US schools)
Ross stands for (Rely On Self Study) It is all up to you, no one will help you. Ross simply can’t let every one who comes to the island complete the first 2 years, they don’t have clinical spots for every one, so 40 – 50% will fail. All will you get for you suffering is your loans.
About my statistics my class started out at 286 people and only 127 got to the 5th semester. I did see many people go to other Caribbean schools such as AUC or back home with nothing but tens of thousands in loans. During my time at ross changed ownership 3 times. This school is only about making money and education is up to you.
The teachers like Barish, Dezalu, Sunny, Stafan … could not teach a frog how to jump. But i herd some of them finely got fired.
When I started ross we did not even need MCAT to get in, so I took a short cut
Few of my premed friends from took time and got in to normal school and believe you me they are in a mach different position now.
So take you time and do it right
Once you graduate from RO$$ or from any other FM school you are limited in your residency options are limited to IM or Family. Yes I know there is this one guy who got in to Ophthalmology. I know this guy… his mom is a program director in Ophthalmology of the hospital he is doing residency.
RO$$ is not about abduction it is about a 2 chance for the students and only about making money for the administration. And no you are not treated as a highly paying costumer. You are treated like poop they know this is your last chance and you got no other place to go.
So take good hard look at your self. Do u really want to be a doctor?
After you graduate from ross don’t think that the residency is waiting for you. All hospitals prefer American grads FMGs take what we can and if we can and we are grateful for that.
The above is no news to many of you but it would have helped me 5 years ago. I hope it helps you.
wrote...
12 years ago
This should answer many questions, especially if you're Canadian. Hope it helps Slight Smile
 Attached file 
(234.03 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
mdh249
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1270 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4