s
s
b
c
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
6 months ago
Has anyone measured the dimensions of most heads and faces to know what face shapes and sizes are contained tightly within what human DNA can create? Basically what makes our faces distinct enough from nonhuman primates?
Read 161 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
6 months ago
Head proportions are based on many factors, such as brain size, jaw size, vertebral size, vertebral column size, etc. All of these characteristics are defined by different genes/alleles, whether you are a human or some other primate. Between different races, these features vary only slightly relative to the comparison of one species of primate to another (see illustration below).

Are you specifically asking about different face shapes and what genes dictate the type of face shape you've inherited?

CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
I just would love to find an app that lets me change all face/head dimensions of a model within the range that is human. I'd like to see how extreme we can look.
wrote...
Educator
6 months ago
Have you ever used snapchat? It usually sports filters that do things like that. There's also FaceApp
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
Have you ever used snapchat? It usually sports filters that do things like that. There's also FaceApp

Are they scientific? Using 3D models with names representing every distance variable that we know about?
wrote...
Educator
6 months ago
They're not scientific, but some do a decent job at manipulating facial features. Most end users that use those apps (teens mostly and older people) don't care about those scientific metrics -- in fact, most would find those features a turn-off lol However, I'm certain the designers and coders did their research prior to their implementation. If you're looking for something more comprehensive, you definitely won't find it on an app. I'm not sure who'd be an expert in this sort of thing, as I've never encountered someone in real-life that examines facial morphology for a living (maybe an anthropologist?)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  471 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820