a
t
i
r
Sam Shojai Sam Shojai
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 months ago
Hey, if we add a cell in g1 phase to a cell in m phase, cell immediately goes to m phase or s? And if it goes to m phase, we have no duplicated chromosome, so what will happen? Gamete will be made?
Read 96 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 months ago
Let's be clear here. Gametes are made in specialized organs that undergo meiosis. The G1 phase belongs to interphase. During this phase, we have active gene expression and cell activity. I'm not sure how you can "add a cell in g1 phase to a cell in m phase". If the cell skips S and G2, it will not have enough chromosomes to pass on to a future daughter cell. Technically, if the m-phase continues, the daughter cell will have half the chromosomes, but it still won't be a gamete.

Sam S. Author
wrote...
3 months ago
Let's be clear here. Gametes are made in specialized organs that undergo meiosis. The G1 phase belongs to interphase. During this phase, we have active gene expression and cell activity. I'm not sure how you can "add a cell in g1 phase to a cell in m phase". If the cell skips S and G2, it will not have enough chromosomes to pass on to a future daughter cell. Technically, if the m-phase continues, the daughter cell will have half the chromosomes, but it still won't be a gamete.

Well, my reference book talked about an experiment in 1970, they added a cell in g1 phase to a cell in s phase ( product is a bigger cell with two nucleus ), the cell in s phase, forced other cell to immediately duplicate chromosomes. Then it talked about adding g1 cell to m cell, book said cell will go to mitosis phase without duplicated chromosome. I was confused so I searched in google and it said it goes to s phase first. Im confused which is true
wrote...
Educator
3 months ago
In S-phase, you have a single nucleus but double the DNA (not true that there would be two nuclei).

I've never read such an experiment before, but I can definitely see how a G1-phase cell would communicate with neighboring cells and also begin replicating its DNA also.

Can the experiment be found online?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1260 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204