s
s
b
c
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
4 months ago
This might be a dumb question, but can a person increase their weight by more than the sum of the food they eat and the water they drink?
Read 146 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 months ago Edited: 4 months ago, bio_man
Hi CarbonRobot

It cannot be more nor cannot it be equal because our digestion system is not 100% efficient at absorbing the food nor are our cells efficient at converting what is absorbs into usable chemical cellular energy. Also, matter cannot be created out of nothing, but it can be converted. By increase one's weight beyond what they consumed implies that matter was created beyond what is possible

Hope I understood you correctly!
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
4 months ago
Hi CarbonRobot It cannot be more nor cannot it be equal because our digestion system is not 100% efficient at absorbing the food nor are our cells efficient at converting what is absorbs into usable chemical cellular energy. Also, matter cannot be created out of nothing, but it can be converted. By increase one's weight beyond what they consumed implies that matter was created beyond what is possible Hope I understood you correctly!

I was just figuring if when fat is burned water and co2 is released. Maybe enough oxygen gets held from breathing with the new chemicals that the body takes in?
wrote...
Educator
4 months ago
When oxygen is inhaled, it is used as "the final electron" acceptor for when carbon rich molecules like carbohydrates and lipids are converted into cellular stored energy known as ATP. Oxygen combines with hydrogen ions in the mitochondria to form H2O, which is expelled out as water vapor. Therefore, the oxygen doesn't contribute any weight
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
4 months ago
Cool.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1030 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 81