a
t
i
r
green_tea green_tea
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey guys,

Need your help in calculating the number of nitrogen atoms in human body. Do greatly appreciate if you have any ideas on which areas i can start to solve this problem first. Many thanks!
Read 2787 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
This post should help you Wink Face

https://biology-forums.com/index.php/topic,1722.msg5434.html

If not, reply back and we'll tackle it together.
green_tea Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi thanks for your help! the link was informative
However i was thinking do we need to take into account the type and  number of cells in human body that contains nitrogen atoms?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hi thanks for your help! the link was informative
However i was thinking do we need to take into account the type and  number of cells in human body that contains nitrogen atoms?

Yes. Start with the amount of nitrogen found in DNA of a single cell. Multiple that number by the number of cells in the body. Now you have to take into account the amount of protein found in each cell (because recall that protein contains a relatively large amount of nitrogen atoms involved in peptide bonds). It's really hard to predict exactly, so don't worry too much if you don't get an exact number because in actuality, it is impossible to predict.
green_tea Author
wrote...
13 years ago
However, i was thinking if it is a reliable method of estimating the amount of N in the body because different types of cells should have different DNA and proteins containing N. If the method is the previous thread is used, are we assuming that all cells contain the same composition of N then?
In addition, how could we predict the amount of N found in DNA of a cell?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1320 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274