p
M
a
dfaymee dfaymee
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
can anyone help me on this problem?

"What is the impact of short term stress on the kidneys? How is this response corrected?"
Read 1669 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
can anyone help me on this problem?

"What is the impact of short term stress on the kidneys? How is this response corrected?"

What do you mean by short-term stress? In what context are you referring to?
dfaymee Author
wrote...
12 years ago
like how does stress affect kidneys?
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Exposure to any form of stress triggers activity within the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. The key aspect of stress response is adrenal release of norepinephrine, epinephrine and cortisol. These hormones affect multiple physiological functions, including those of kidneys

Calcium Balance

In addition to reducing intestinal calcium absorption, cortisol inhibits calcium reabsorption from renal tubules, which results in calcium loss.

Electrolyte And Fluid Regulation

Cortisol promotes phosphate excretion by the kidneys. At high enough concentrations, cortisol, like aldosterone, causes retention of sodium and fluid.

Glomerular Filtration Rate

Catecholamines, i.e, epinephrine and norepinephrine, cause constriction of blood vessels within the kidney, which results in diminished glomerular filtration rate and, subsequently, reduced urinary water output.

Sodium Retention

Catecholamines reduce kidney sodium excretion, further contributing to water retention.

Implications

The combination of vasoconstriction and increase in blood volume (because of water retention) raises blood pressure, which can, over time, translate into chronic hypertension. Persistent water retention as an outcome of prolonged elevations in stress hormones can also produce edema.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
dfaymee Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Slight Smile thank you so much for you help Slight Smile i really appreciate it <3
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1148 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820