a
t
i
r
pumpkinbread pumpkinbread
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
Can someone explain the similarities and differences between cellular respiration and photosynthesis. I understand they both involve chemiosmosis but i don't understand how these processes differentiate in establishing a proton gradient. I would greatly appreciate it. Slight Smile
Read 1497 times
1 Reply
you are what you eat (inside biology joke)

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Photosynthesis and Cell Respiration

Rightwards Arrow They both involve the exchange of the gases; oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Rightwards Arrow Both reactions transform energy in one way or another - either storing it or releasing it.

Rightwards Arrow Both the processes are performed by endosymbiotic organisms that lived inside all eukaryotic cells.

Rightwards Arrow Photosynthesis is a system in plants that takes the sun's energy and creates food (mainly glucose). This process requires CO2 and water according to this general equation:

6CO2 + 6H2O + Energy Rightwards Arrow C6H12O6 + 6O2

Notice here that Glucose (C6H12O6) and oxygen (O2) are products here

This differs from cellular respiration in the fact that Oxygen and Glucose are reactants and Carbon dioxide and waters are products :

C6H12O6 + 6O2 Rightwards Arrow 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy

You will here notice that they are essentially the reverse equations.

Rightwards Arrow Both systems involve the movement of electrons through "electron transport chains." (Note that anaerobes using fermentation do not have an ETC).

Rightwards Arrow ATP is created through ATP synthase and an electrochemical gradient (Hydrogen ions) in a process called chemiosmosis. (Again, this is only for autotrophs and aerobes or organisms with an ETC).

Rightwards Arrow Both take place in a organelle thought to have been ingested (reason for the double membranes of mitochondria and chloroplasts).

Rightwards Arrow Both have alternate pathways. Photosynthesis has C3, C4, and CAM pathways and respiration has fermentation.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion