a
t
i
r
gohar90211 gohar90211
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
A ball is thrown upward into the air with an initial velocity of 64 feet per second. The formula h(t) = 64t - 16t2 gives its height above the ground after t seconds. What is its height after 1.5 seconds? What is its maximum height? How many seconds will pass before it returns to the ground?

Thanks everyone, you've been so great Question Mark
Read 8527 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
A ball is thrown upward into the air with an initial velocity of 64 feet per second. The formula h(t) = 64t - 16t2 gives its height above the ground after t seconds. What is its height after 1.5 seconds? What is its maximum height? How many seconds will pass before it returns to the ground?

Thanks everyone, you've been so great Question Mark

to calculate height after 1.5 seconds, put in t =1.5 in equation h(t) = 64t - 16t2  and you will get your h(1.5)
to get maximum height, just differentiate h(t) wrt t and equate it to zero
ie by doing so, you would get at t=2 , the height is maximum.
after 4 seconds, the ball returns to the ground., you can do it by either doubling the time it takes the ball to get maximum height or by solving the quadratic h(t) = 64t - 16t2 =0
giving you two values of t, one being t=0 (obvious since the ball's height at t=o was 0 and t=4, the time that we found out by doubling the time taken to reach maximum height
I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

gohar90211 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you, I tried factoring the quadratic, and it also helped: h(t) = 16t(4 - t2)... This is factored form, so I graphed it by finding the x-intercepts, vertex, and y-intercept.

Happy now Smiling Face with Glasses
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Thank you, I tried factoring the quadratic, and it also helped: h(t) = 16t(4 - t2)... This is factored form, so I graphed it by finding the x-intercepts, vertex, and y-intercept.

Happy now Smiling Face with Glasses

Please mark as solved once you're done.
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
marking topic as solved
I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  967 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?