Top Posters
Since Sunday
Only Only
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
13 years ago
Working on a lab report, about cellular respiration and fermentation and wondering if I got this right.  Insight or corrections appreciated or you can tell me to just start over if I have gone way off base. Thank you for any suggestions!

Cellular respiration is the chemical breakdown of energy, which is converted to ATP, using catabolic pathways of aerobic or anaerobic respiration. Aerobic respiration uses oxygen as a reactant with organic fuel. In cases where oxygen is not available it is called anaerobic respiration, where respiration ensues when oxygen is absent.

There are three main parts to cellular respiration glycolysis, the citric acid cycle or Kerbs cycle and electron transport.  Glycolysis is a catabolic pathway that transpires in cytoplasm and is not dependent on oxygen and takes chemical energy through oxidizing glucose into pyruvate, NADH is formed from NAD+ + 2H=oxidation. This process happens twice allowing each glucose molecule too produce two-pyruvate molecules. The citric acid cycle, pyruvate will release carbon dioxide and produce Acetyl CoA again this will happen twice, once for each Acetyl CoA. Acetyl CoA will attach to C4 molecule during the Citric Acid Cycle causing the release of Coenzyme A. Two, Acetyl CoA molecules consumed will produce 4 CO2, 2ATP, 6 NADH, 2 FADH2. ATP molecules are produced by phosphorylation. Electron transport and chemiosmosis located in the mitochondrion or plasma membrane, dependent on the cell being eukaryote or prokaryote. Electrons are oxidized from glucose by NAD+ (through glycolysis and citric acid cycle).  Phosphorylation of ATP along with the potential energy in glucose now found in NAHD and FADH2 which chemiosmosis now absorbs this energy to H2O.

Anaerobic respiration applies the process of fermentation to convert NADH back to NAD+ this will cause glycolysis to still function when oxygen is not present by the use of carbohydrates. Lactic acid fermentation can be seen in animals. Ethanol fermentation occurs in plants and fungi. Fermentation has a lower efficiency rate compared to aerobic respiration only two ATP molecules are made during fermentation while cellular respiration creates thirty-six ATP molecules.
Read 3680 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
13 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 200 words.