d
a
g
j
BreakFree BreakFree
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
9 years ago
A mother tells the school nurse that she is concerned over her daughter's use of an inhaler for asthmatic episodes. The daughter is taking amphetamine and dextroamphetamine (Adderall XR) for ADHD. The mother states that since beginning the Adderall, every time the daughter uses her inhaler, she gets very agitated, jittery, and anxious. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?
1. "Your daughter needs to see her primary care provider to have her asthmatic medication changed to another medication."
2. "Your daughter will need to discontinue her treatment for ADHD, as it is contraindicated with medications use to treat asthma."
3. "The Adderall should be discontinued during times of asthma exacerbation."
4. "Inhalers used for asthma tend to cause central nervous system stimulation, just as medications for ADHD do. Her symptoms are likely due to the additive effect of having both medications."
Textbook 
Pharmacology: Connections to Nursing Practice

Pharmacology: Connections to Nursing Practice

Edition: 3rd
Authors:
Read 274 times
3 Replies
First-year pharmacology student, representing MIT!
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
nginngin
wrote...
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More solutions for this book are available here
This verified answer contains over 180 words.