p
m
f
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
Jerry is in an automobile accident that severs his spinal cord at waist level. After his recovery, he wonders if he will still be able to have an erection, enjoy sex, and father a child. What would you tell him?
Read 3478 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Yes, he would still be able to have an erection, though he would lack the pleasurable sensations that normally accompany erection. Erection is controlled primarily by a parasympathetic reflex originating in the sacral region of the spinal cord (inferior to the injury). Tactile stimulation of the penis would initiate the parasympathetic reflex that controls erection. Jerry would also be able to experience an erection by a sympathetic route, since this would be controlled in the T12 to L2 area of the cord (superior to the injury). Stimulation by higher centers could produce a decreased sympathetic tone in the vessels to the penis resulting in an erection. His injury should have no effect on sperm production and ejaculation should still be possible, so he should be able to father a child
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Reply back for further assistance Slight Smile
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
13 years ago
Actually, my son was injured in an automobile accident that left him a quadriplegic. There are two types - incomplete and complete. If the spinal cord has been severed (complete injury), it's doubtful that Jerry can have an erection without some sort of electrical stimulation. However, on an incomplete (bruising of the spinal cord), it is possible to have an erection. Each spinal cord injury is different, even if the injury is obtained at the same level (i.e. C5 or L1, etc). With my son's incomplete injury (he still has sensory, but no function below the waist), he is able to have an erection, but not able to ejaculate. It may be possible for the injured patient to have invitro to father a child. Note also that damage to the nerve normally effects sperm count. By the way, my son was told that he would most likely NOT be able to father children. Then again, the doctors told us that he'd never be able to move anything except his shoulders (C6-7 break) and he is now standing in therapy. Doctors can only tell you what SHOULD happen with the type of injured that has occurred. They have often been proven wrong.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Actually, my son was injured in an automobile accident that left him a quadriplegic. There are two types - incomplete and complete. If the spinal cord has been severed (complete injury), it's doubtful that Jerry can have an erection without some sort of electrical stimulation. However, on an incomplete (bruising of the spinal cord), it is possible to have an erection. Each spinal cord injury is different, even if the injury is obtained at the same level (i.e. C5 or L1, etc). With my son's incomplete injury (he still has sensory, but no function below the waist), he is able to have an erection, but not able to ejaculate. It may be possible for the injured patient to have invitro to father a child. Note also that damage to the nerve normally effects sperm count. By the way, my son was told that he would most likely NOT be able to father children. Then again, the doctors told us that he'd never be able to move anything except his shoulders (C6-7 break) and he is now standing in therapy. Doctors can only tell you what SHOULD happen with the type of injured that has occurred. They have often been proven wrong.

I'm sorry to hear that about your son. It's incredible how our bodies can respond and adapt to such conditions. I personally love proving doctors wrong because as soon as you're a medical doctor, you stigmatized with this notion that you know everything.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
13 years ago
im sure the doctors are also glad when they are proven wrong in these situations.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  943 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 214