a
t
i
r
howdydoo123 howdydoo123
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
When i was reading a textbook, it said that only the lagging strand produces okazaki fragments, but in this animation  http://www.johnkyrk.com/DNAreplication.html, it appears that both the leading and the lagging strands produce okazaki fragments.

Can someone help me clarify?
Read 2248 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Both strands produce Okazaki fragments. It's a misconception to think only the lagging strand does. What ever is happening on one strand, it's happening on the other, just in the opposite direction.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Ali
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, Ali
As far as i know, only the lagging strand forms okazaki fragments. this is bcz the nucleotides forming the strands are always synthesized from the 5' end to the 3' end of the molecule. thus, during elongation of the chain, one strand (the leading) is synthesized without interuuption since it starts from 5' and continues till it reaches the termination site, and the other strand (lagging), is synthesized in pieces whenever there is available area to form a primer at the 5' end. once the polymerization of the okazaki fragment reaches the 5' end of the previous okazaki fragment, it stops, and another fragment starts forming when there's enough space to prime . it's long but hopefully helpful Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
You are right, Ali, but like Duddy mentioned, the lagging strand is found on both strands of the DNA, at opposite ends of the fork. Remember, 5' to 3' runs in both directions.

Rightwards Arrow 5' to 3'
5-----------------------3
3-----------------------5

5' to 3' Leftwards Arrow
wrote...
12 years ago
the lagging strand produces the okazaki fragments, as the leading strand is replicated in a continuous fashion by DNA polymerase only
Ali
wrote...
12 years ago
So, when we say "lagging" , or "leading" strand, we don't refer to the part of the DNA chain which is being synthesized on one end of the replication fork , but to the whole strand which results after ligation of fragments + the continuously forming chain??? plz reply
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
The leading and lagging strand is dependent on which end of the fork you're looking at.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
12 years ago
Makes sense, thanks.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1352 People Browsing
Related Images