t
i
r
r
darwinian1 darwinian1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Im reading my AP biology book,a nd this genetics chapter is really confusing.

It says bloods groups are by 3 possible alleles (multiple alleles).  But if there are 3 different kind of blood groups, well, there are like 5 different hair types, 6 different eye colors, right?  So those would be considered multiple allelic to?

Could you name something that doesnt use multiple alleles in determining phenotype?

Could someone clear this whole thing up for me?

Also, isnt eye color and hair color more of a codominant thing?

Thanks!
Read 900 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I understand your confusion.  A lot of our more apparent traits seem to be controlled by multiple alleles.  Some of them are controlled or influenced by more than one gene.  While there may be more than one gene, each of these genes only have two alleles.  

For some great examples of traits controlled by genes with just two alleles, you can look at Gregor Mendel's experiment with pea plants.  There are also a bunch of traits that might not have anything to do with outward appearance but are also controlled by genes with just two alleles.  Dyslexia, for example, is a dominant trait controlled by a gene with just two alleles.  The ability to roll your tongue is another one.
wrote...
11 years ago
*Ear lobes: attached or not attached

*Hair line: straight or widows peak

*Earwax: Wet or Dry

*Dimples

*Freckles

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1131 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?