a
t
i
r
apangirl apangirl
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi I am 15 years old and a Sophomore and as a Sophomore I am planning for the future ahead of me and 2013 is only 2.5 years away for me. So I want to get a BS in Nursing and I am from Maryland, but, I typically don't want to stay in Maryland for school. I am currently enrolled in a Vo-tech school (magnet school) for Allied Health next year I can get my CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and the vo-tech school is half a day and the other half of the day I go to a normal high school.
I also don't want to go to community college because I want a full experience of college and not living at home.
My options are so far:
Brigham Young University (BYU) [btw I am a Mormon, please do not bash]
BYU-Idaho
Fairmont State University
Penn State
Any other schools that are affordable yet are good schools that offer an excellent nursing program? By the way I think I am entitled for numerous grants because I have a veteran family members, don't live with parents, first generation to go to college out of guardians and parents, and we live on a fixed income.
I have around a 3.2 GPA So far and Johns Hopkins does offer nursing but, it is very tough to get in.
Read 822 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
weber has a good nursing program
wrote...
11 years ago
Wells, the Best thing you could do is to actually Google it.
But i'll tell you what i know of nursing.
Since i live in california, i have only researched universities from California, since i do not plan to go to a university outofstate.
So in California, i would recommend Cal State San Diego, Cal State Long Beach, University of California Los Angeles and University of California Irvine.
Ok These 4 colleges are somewhat decent. UC:3.0+ to be able to register and Cal:2.0+ (i believe)
Affordable wise, Cal state is way Cheaper than the UCs by around 10-20k.
As far as i know, my research has shown that the university you come from does not matter as much a for a doctor of its educational background. So like its okay if you dont come from a "good" college for nursing; their not very prejudice about what college you got your degree from. Its more like your GPA and how you passed your Nursing license test.
Wells, those r the colleges i recommend to you from California.
And also, may i add? it's VERY hard to get into those colleges with a NURSING major. The select less than 100 out of more than thousands of applicant pool... I say you need to be at least Top 10-15% of your class rank wise. For UC's, you might want to consider alot of x-tra curriculars and such.

Also, look up johns hopkins and brown university if you want more of a prestigious university. Now, i'm not sure if they have nursing but they are known for science/medicine those kind of stuff. also when you look for Nursing universities, make sure you look at their NCLEX rate of success. Cuhs if its below 80%, you probably shouldn't go to that university.
wrote...
11 years ago
Dixie College in St. George Utah is noted for it's Nursing Program, it is one of the best in the country.

Certainly Dixie College is a College with a large number of LDS students.

The University Of Utah is known for it's medical education, though I am not sure about the Nursing Program specifically.

You might want to look into BYU correspondence courses, or other correspondence courses.  Perhaps you could take a few of these type of classes, before you actually attend whatever College you will eventually attend.

Also you might look into the Perpetual Education Fund, and see how that would work into your plans.

By the way a person can easily make over a hundred thousand dollars a year, as a nurse.  In places like Las Vegas, there is a real shortage of Nurses.  But you probably already knew that.  

A perfusionist, a specialty that once required a Doctors degree, now allows someone with a Nurses degree to do that job (a perfusionist is someone that supplies the pain killing drugs during surgery...  it is as much an art as it is a science knowing when too much is too much, and when too little is too little).  

A perfusionist can make as much as a quarter million dollars a year, or more.  It is a 9 to 5 job.  It requires two years additional college, after the Nursing Degree, and two years experience working as a  Nurse.

The nice thing about being a Nurse is that you can make your own schedule, to a great extent.  More than a few Nurses only work two days a week, maybe a twelve hour shift.  So that would be twenty four hours a week.  There is not the same demands as being a doctor, but the pay is rather substantial.

Then again if you want to work sixteen hour days,  and put some money in the bank, there are places in the country that you could do that.

You might also look into being a travel Nurse.  This is where you travel around the world as a Nurse, which is a great way to get a variety of working experience, and see some different parts of the World for a year or two.

Personally I think that BYU Provo will be your best bet, as far as going to College.  You being LDS this would be a wonderful opportunity to socialize with other LDS students.  Not saying that you couldn't do that at other colleges, but I think that going to BYU would be a real positive experience for you.
wrote...
11 years ago
BYU would be a good option for you.  The University of Utah has a very good medical school.   Weber State Universality in Ogden has a good nursing program.
wrote...
11 years ago
Fresno State University of California has a good Nursing Program and there are always job openings for nurses in California.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1219 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328