p
n
C
z
spliceofslife spliceofslife
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
12 years ago
Suppose that you have two inbred corn plants.  Both plants have yellow kernels, but the cause of the lack of pigment is different.  One plant has yellow kernels due to the insertion of a Ds element into the “C” gene, which encodes an enzyme that is necessary for making the purple pigment anthocyanin.  This inbred does not contain any Ac elements.  The second maize plant has yellow kernels due to a point mutation in the C gene. This homozygous line contains an unlinked Ac element.  The two inbreds were crossed and the resulting F1 were selfed to create an F2 population.  Give the genotype and phenotype of the F1 and F2 progeny. Be sure to explain the notation you have chosen for each of the phenotypes.

If someone is able to explain this it would be amazing! Im struggling getting the parent genotypes right now. I assume "purple" is colorless? This is my guess...

C/c(ds) ; Ac/Ac     C/c ;  Ac+/Ac+
Read 2270 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
This is a tricky one, you gotta note two things:

Rightwards Arrow Insertion of Ds in the C gene creates colorless corn-kernel cells.
Rightwards Arrow Excision of Ds from the C gene through the action of Ac in cells and their mitotic descendants allows color to be expressed again, producing the spotted phenotype.

According to the diagram I've posted, Ds is shown as a piece of DNA that has inactivated the C gene (as in the example you've given) [the allele is called c-mutable(Ds) or c-m(Ds) for short] by inserting into its coding region. A strain with c-m(Ds) and no Ac has colorless kernels because Ds cannot move; it is stuck in the C gene. A strain with c-m(Ds) and Ac has spotted kernels because Ac activates Ds, in some cells, to leave (called excise or transpose) the C gene, thereby restoring gene function.

Other strains were isolated in which the Ac element itself had inserted into the C gene [called c-m(Ac)]. Unlike the c-m(Ds) allele, which is unstable only when Ac is in the genome, c-m(Ac) is always unstable. The Ac type can also be transformed into an allele of the Ds type. This transformation was due to the spontaneous generation of a Ds element from the inserted Ac element. In other words, Ds is, in all likelihood, an incomplete, mutated version of Ac itself.

I'm not too sure of the answer since it has been years since I've studies this stuff, but hopefully you can deduce something out of this and share it with me (us).

Good luck spliceofslife.
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
spliceofslife Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thank you so much this was a  very good boost!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  956 People Browsing
Related Images