t
u
A
B
j
_biology _biology
wrote...
12 years ago
What kind of jobs are there out there? What's the pay for those jobs? So far I really like my chemistry classes in college, I'm just not sure what I could do with a chemistry degree.
Read 519 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
After you get your Bachelor's degree register to take Master's courses. Then you can become a college instructor. On the other hand you can also take secondary educational classes and be a high school teacher. I think the college instructor would be a good paying job, but all secondary teachers claim to be under paid.
wrote...
12 years ago
Well if you go to RPI and live in Colonie D there's a lot you can do.
wrote...
12 years ago
You could teach chemistry in a high school, or you could work as a chemist in industry. Sherwin Williams, for example, which is a coatings manufacturer, hires a *lot* of chemists in their R&D labs and in their factories. They have chemist jobs in Ohio, in NJ, in Oregon, and elsewhere. You'd usually start as a "junior chemist" and move up from there.

Check out the jobs listings from all sorts of chemical coatings companies, chemical companies, paint and coatings manufacturers, even pharmaceutical companies. Lots of opportunities for chemists with bachelors degrees.

The pay is pretty good, IMHO.

If you're interested in teaching, speak to the education advisor at your college. If you're interested in industry, make sure you do a co-op or internship before you graduate, so you'll be employable. And keep your grades at a decent level - over a 3.0. In this way, if you enter industry, and decide that to move up to a certain position you need a masters degree (in some companies this can help), with a 3.0 you can be admitted. Below a 3.0 GPA, and you'll have a hard time finding an MS program in  your field willing to look at you.

Another option is to work as a chemist for a while, then go back and get your MBA, rather than your MS in chem. Then you can become a sales manager or product manager.

Still another option is to get your JD, and become a patent attorney. A science or tech undergrad degree is required to become a patent attorney.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1124 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 300