k
s
P
i
ashwhitley ashwhitley
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
i dont know what to do in uni, i was thinking of physics.

But how interesting and how difficult is it? > will i still have a social life, or is it just study study and study.

What jobs can you end up with, with a physics degree? can i get into investment banking?
Read 363 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
It doesn't sound interesting.
wrote...
12 years ago
I think it's interesting, but that's a matter of personal taste.

It is one of the more difficult degrees.  Whether or not you can do it and have a social life depends on how smart you are, how well you want to do, and how much other stuff you have going on in your life.

Physics is among the most flexible degrees you can get.  It is excellent preparation for investment banking--particularly the more technical aspects of it.  The formulas for pricing futures or derivatives (which some business types find difficult) will be a piece of cake for a physics major.

The important thing as an undergrad isn't any specific knowledge (body of facts) you pick up.  The important thing is to learn to think and express yourself verbally and in writing.  You can do that in just about any major.  So you will do best if you choose something you like and find fascinating.  (Obviously nobody but you knows what you like best).  Don't worry too much at this point about what knowledge you will need for a particular job.  If you pick up the basic skills, picking up job-specific knowledge will take care of itself.
wrote...
12 years ago
I've never had to sacrifice my social life, personally, and I find it incredibly interesting. Modern physics spans a wide range from quantum mechanics to special relativity and electrodynamics to statistical mechanics, all of which I've hated initially and then learned to love. If you're very lucky, you also get classes in general relativity.

If you're looking at physics specifically for job opportunities, you're probably looking at it the wrong way. Nobel laureate Richard Feynman put it this way: "Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." There's a joy to understanding the world, to figuring new things out. If you don't go into physics looking for that joy, then either it will hit you like a train and you'll love it, or you'll be left alone at the station and physics will be downright miserable for you.

Physicists *can* go into investment banking, if they so desire. It's kind of an odd choice, but I imagine you can explain cash-flow diagrams and risk models to any physicist and they'll immediately pick it up with their existing mathematical tools.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1161 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488