a
t
i
r
r
_biology _biology
wrote...
12 years ago
I am going to be taking the Financial Risk Manager designation from http://www.garp.org. What is the chance of getting into a finance job even if it is back office crunching number for a while.
Read 621 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I worked in finance after undergrad, and here's what I recommend.  Get a job in financial services *before* you take that FRM designation.  Then you can see (1) do employers value the FRM designation at all and can it help you get a job, and (2) do you even like the work.   Then after you work in the job for a couple years, you can decide whether to get a CFA or FRM designation being sponsored by your employer, or go back to grad school.  Finance is really fun, if you like math and people.
wrote...
12 years ago
My advice: start in a call centre. This gives you a solid overview of how the organisation works, as well as providing a pretty good income for relatively low-skilled work.

Jobs like these will get you a foot in the door and allow you to build your contacts to further your career down the track.

Try looking for a position in a bank somewhere, they usually have regular intakes and are keen to employ qualified people who can bring that something 'extra' to the organisation.

Once you're in though, be persistence, keep pushing and achieving those targets and take every opportunity that comes your way. Even if it isn't in the exact direction you'd like to go.

Experience is experience and will show that you're will to put in the hard slog to get where you want to go. Also, having a understanding of how things actually work, instead of a narrow view that often comes a attached to more 'analytical' roles will give you a major edge!

My main advice: don't get complacent!
wrote...
3 years ago
Follow your heart
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1210 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images